The Gibson What do you think it may be worth

wfwhitson

Reaction score
Here are some pictures that I took with my phone. I have a guy trying to sell me this uke. I need to know what some of you all might think it is worth.
It is a soprano, Mahog. I think, has a crack almost the length on back, as you can see the finish is pretty roughf, lots of nicks, and scraches.

1111091231b.jpg

1111091231c.jpg

1111091232a.jpg

1111091232b.jpg

Looks like a piece of junk to me, but tell the guy that I'll do him a favor and take it off his hands for $25. :D

What's he asking? With the Gibson name, it's probably worth quite a bit. Is the neck straight and unbowed?

I'm no luthier but I would be careful with that bridge. Looks like there are there two screws in it, which don't belong there. That is not Gibson's work but poor repair work done at some time.....that would concern me about what happened, damage to the wood underneath, intonation....all that jazz.

Looks like it has played A LOT of music in it's life. Cracks are pretty easily repaired by qualified people but a major bridge issue could be a much bigger job. If you can't do all that work yourself it might cost more than it is worth.

I can't give a dollar amount, but rather what are you willing to pay for it? How much do you want it and do you want to bring it back to life? It is a pretty rough little guy.

Last edited:
Yah! it is really roughf, sevral things bother me the biggest is the screws in the bridge. there is also a chunk out of the sound board on the inside that you don't see. I did not put the asking price in for a reason as I wanted opinions. I did see the one on e-bay.

i agree with these guys. Right now I'm thinking if you where to say $120, I'd definitely take it, but if you where to say like $400, I probably wouldn't. Thats just my opinion though

I'd balk at $100. That plus the cost of repair could buy a nicer one on eBay later....

I think I just lost a uke buddy, I really did't want this uke but I did tell him that I would post it to see what kind of responce I got. Someone had told him to ask $900.00 for it:eek:

I told him I didn't think so but he wanted to know. What I though so I told him, I am not known for being tackful.:rolleyes:

He is still going to hold out for $500.00 I told him good luck.

Does anybody know if it was just ukulele's with the "the" on top of Gibson? I can't recall seeing that on any of their other vintage instruments(not like I've seen hundreds or anything).

I think I just lost a uke buddy, I really did't want this uke but I did tell him that I would post it to see what kind of responce I got. Someone had told him to ask $900.00 for it:eek:

I told him I didn't think so but he wanted to know. What I though so I told him, I am not known for being tackful.:rolleyes:

Does anybody know if it was just ukulele's with the "the" on top of Gibson? I can't recall seeing that on any of their other vintage instruments(not like I've seen hundreds or anything).

Here's one from the 20's - no screws in the bridge, but there's something on there - hard to see - asking 300 pounds - has "The Gibson" on headstock - consensus on some Gibson forums say they are worth something for intrinsic historical value, but that they sound like crap because they were overbuilt (whatever that means). This one's nowhere as beat up.

Attachments

• uke001.jpg
    uke001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Woah, at $500, that thing is mad overpriced...$900 is madness. I personally wouldn't even be interested in buying it. There are nice vintage instruments out there, and I've got an ancient solid mahogany Epiphone USA 000 guitar from the 60s that I love (paid $100 for it in heavily played but well loved condition, then did a neck reset myself and saved whatever high prices luthiers charge), but ones this Gibson uke have been beat to death like this one just don't appeal to me. There are just too many repairs that you'd need to do on this one...so it probably would come out to $900 in the end. And at that price, you're in KoAloha concert Sceptre range.

Actually, that ukulele is not in that bad a condition. Check out the prices of these Gibsons at Elderly Instruments...

http://elderly.com/vintage/cats/180U.htm

Gibson is one of the most sought-after brands among collectors. They always command an higher price.

"The Gibson" is very common on their mandolins.

"The Gibson" was on all of their instruments until around 1931-2 when they dropped the "The"...:D

I certainly wouldn't pay 500$ in that condition...

I've played several Gibsons (sopananos and tenors, all in good to very good condition and owned by UK uke player and collector Rufus Yells). They were all astonishingly good ukes, but I've no idea how much they would be worth in todays market. They certainly wouldn't be cheap.

Gibson has made some amazingly good instruments. The problem is getting one cause they've made so many mediocre ones. The best sounding guitar I ever played was a certain J 45, It was pretty beat up, had a cracked headstock repair, it had that certain something, rang like bell, great balance, perfect bass, (clear sweet and tight, not boomy like a D 28). If I'd had the money on me I'd have bought it right there and then. . . didn't.

I call it scottie's inverse law of guitar goodness. I seem to find them when I'm broke. :(

Gibson has made some amazingly good instruments. The problem is getting one cause they've made so many mediocre ones. The best sounding guitar I ever played was a certain J 45, It was pretty beat up, had a cracked headstock repair, it had that certain something, rang like bell, great balance, perfect bass, (clear sweet and tight, not boomy like a D 28). If I'd had the money on me I'd have bought it right there and then. . . didn't.

I call it scottie's inverse law of guitar goodness. I seem to find them when I'm broke. :(

It used to be that Gibson quality was much better than it is today. I'd love to get my hands on a perfect "Songwriter", but, until I find one, I feel that the quality of Masterbilt guitars is better on average and the price is really great.

I prefer a Taylor guitar over Gibson more times than not, these days.

Top Bottom