Aloha from Sacramento area

Steve vanPelt

Reaction score
Hi, all. This is Steve from California. I had never played an instrument with strings until I played an ukulele about six months ago while we were on vacation in Hawaii. I bought a Tangi koa concert in Hilo. (get well soon, Tangi) I can only play a handfull of chords, but really enjoy it. Ukulele makes me happy.

I've been a woodworker for fun and profit for a few decades, so of course I had to try and build my own uke. I just finished #6......

UU is the best, and thank you to everyone for all the great info and stuff you all share with us. And a special thanks to the Luthiers lounge crew, without your helpfulness I would have been really lost.

Just one quick shout out to Deach, just for being Deach and I'm outta here.

see ya, Steve

707 area code? Where is Sac are you?

Right on, Steve. Welcome. Any pics that you can share of your builds?

Hi Seeso,

Thanks for asking. In the first pic, left to right, is the first one I made from a Kevin Murray kit, next is my first from scratch using a mahogany 1x6 I had laying around the shop and then two koa pineapples that I'm just finishing up. The koa tenor I gave to my dad for his 86th. The last one I made just for fun after seeing a coffinlele thread on UU.

Attachments

• ALA_0074.jpg
    ALA_0074.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 28
  • ALA_0002.jpg
    ALA_0002.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 27
  • P6240601.jpg
    P6240601.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 26
  • P9130685.JPG
    P9130685.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 30
Hi Seeso,

Thanks for asking. In the first pic, left to right, is the first one I made from a Kevin Murray kit, next is my first from scratch using a mahogany 1x6 I had laying around the shop and then two koa pineapples that I'm just finishing up. The koa tenor I gave to my dad for his 86th. The last one I made just for fun after seeing a coffinlele thread on UU.

Dude! Gorgeous! I love that mahogany one! It looks pomelle.

Dude! Gorgeous! I love that mahogany one! It looks pomelle.

It's kinda waterfall looking. The neck is from the same stick. The body came out a little wonky, though.

Attachments

• P9130745.jpg
    P9130745.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Looks awesome to me. Beautiful figure. How does she sound?

All I have to compare it to is my Tangi concert. It's got a warmer sound than the concert and volume is about the same. Right now I'm looking for a camcorder for the holidays....maybe we get it early and I can post a vid. My ukulele playing is like singing in the shower (not for kids or the squeemish) but I'll try to eek out a few strums in C F & G:eek:

Wow. Nice work, Steve. :)

Gorgeous ukes! I especially like your dad's koa tenor.
Beautiful curl. And the bridge, haven't seen one with those string holes before. On your last picture (post #7), you didn't describe that uke. I can see Two Dogs Plucking 'Ukulele Company in your future.

I kind of like those two on the right in the first picture.

Have you posted pics of your ukes yet? I LOVE to see the pics people post when they build their own...

Welcome to UU!

Top Bottom