PDA

View Full Version : Aloha from Sacramento area

Steve vanPelt
11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi, all. This is Steve from California. I had never played an instrument with strings until I played an ukulele about six months ago while we were on vacation in Hawaii. I bought a Tangi koa concert in Hilo. (get well soon, Tangi) I can only play a handfull of chords, but really enjoy it. Ukulele makes me happy.

I've been a woodworker for fun and profit for a few decades, so of course I had to try and build my own uke. I just finished #6......

UU is the best, and thank you to everyone for all the great info and stuff you all share with us. And a special thanks to the Luthiers lounge crew, without your helpfulness I would have been really lost.

Just one quick shout out to Deach, just for being Deach and I'm outta here.

see ya, Steve

Kanaka916
11-11-2009, 05:31 PM
707 area code? Where is Sac are you?

Steve vanPelt
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM
707 area code? Where is Sac are you?
West of Sac, in Fairfield.

seeso
11-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Right on, Steve. Welcome. Any pics that you can share of your builds?

Steve vanPelt
11-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi Seeso,

Thanks for asking. In the first pic, left to right, is the first one I made from a Kevin Murray kit, next is my first from scratch using a mahogany 1x6 I had laying around the shop and then two koa pineapples that I'm just finishing up. The koa tenor I gave to my dad for his 86th. The last one I made just for fun after seeing a coffinlele thread on UU.

seeso
11-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi Seeso,

Thanks for asking. In the first pic, left to right, is the first one I made from a Kevin Murray kit, next is my first from scratch using a mahogany 1x6 I had laying around the shop and then two koa pineapples that I'm just finishing up. The koa tenor I gave to my dad for his 86th. The last one I made just for fun after seeing a coffinlele thread on UU.

Dude! Gorgeous! I love that mahogany one! It looks pomelle.

Steve vanPelt
11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Dude! Gorgeous! I love that mahogany one! It looks pomelle.

It's kinda waterfall looking. The neck is from the same stick. The body came out a little wonky, though.

seeso
11-11-2009, 08:53 PM
It's kinda waterfall looking. The neck is from the same stick. The body came out a little wonky, though.

Looks awesome to me. Beautiful figure. How does she sound?

Steve vanPelt
11-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Looks awesome to me. Beautiful figure. How does she sound?

All I have to compare it to is my Tangi concert. It's got a warmer sound than the concert and volume is about the same. Right now I'm looking for a camcorder for the holidays....maybe we get it early and I can post a vid. My ukulele playing is like singing in the shower (not for kids or the squeemish) but I'll try to eek out a few strums in C F & G:o

buddhuu
11-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Wow. Nice work, Steve. :)

Kanaka916
11-12-2009, 04:41 AM
More pics of the Koa tenor . . . would love to hear what it sounds like.

kailua
11-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Gorgeous ukes! I especially like your dad's koa tenor.
Beautiful curl. And the bridge, haven't seen one with those string holes before. On your last picture (post #7), you didn't describe that uke. I can see Two Dogs Plucking 'Ukulele Company in your future.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Very nice 2Dogs. Welcome aboard and see you in the Luthier's Lounge.

deach
11-12-2009, 07:25 AM
The tuners on coffinelele are awesome!

bunnyflower
11-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Those are beeeautiful. And now I want a coffinlele. Hehe!

Ahnko Honu
11-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I kind of like those two on the right in the first picture.

russ_buss
11-12-2009, 08:23 AM
that coffinlele is brilliant! :iwant:

mrUKETOBER
11-12-2009, 08:31 AM
welcome steve ! and omgah nice builds ! those are some beaut's

bbycrts
11-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Have you posted pics of your ukes yet? I LOVE to see the pics people post when they build their own...

Welcome to UU!

Kanaka916
11-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Have you posted pics of your ukes yet? I LOVE to see the pics people post when they build their own...

Welcome to UU!
See post #5 . . .

Steve vanPelt
11-12-2009, 11:37 AM
The tuners on coffinelele are awesome!

thank you:D

Steve vanPelt
11-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I kind of like those two on the right in the first picture.
Hi Ahnko,
Thought you might. It is, after all your fault. All that yammerin' on (and I mean this in a really really good way:rolleyes:) about pineapple this and pineapple that.....so decided to try building a couple to see what all the fuss is about. Now I'm really diggin the pineapple thing and want to try to make some more.

Steve vanPelt
11-12-2009, 12:14 PM
More pics of the Koa tenor . . . would love to hear what it sounds like.

Hi Kanaka,
I gotta learn the whole youtube thing...not to mention how truly poor my playing is... My dad will be here next week for an early Thanksgiving and I'll have him bring his uke and get some video then.

In the meantime, here are some more pics. Thanks for asking

Steve

Steve vanPelt
11-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Gorgeous ukes! I especially like your dad's koa tenor.
Beautiful curl. And the bridge, haven't seen one with those string holes before. On your last picture (post #7), you didn't describe that uke. I can see Two Dogs Plucking 'Ukulele Company in your future.

Hi Kailua,
That other one is a bubinga kasha tenor kit from Hana lima 'ia. It was my 4th build. It came with plans and all the materials except tuners. It was also the first one I built with the benefit of the Hana Lima building manual. The string through body thing is straight from the Hana Lima book...it's an easy way to do it. Thanks for asking.

Steve

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Awesome looking Ukes...

kailua
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Had a question on the kasha bracing: Do you notice a difference in the sound compared to traditional soundboard bracing? On my Bucket List: complete the two week course at Hana Lima. Thanks for sharing your beautiful ukes and welcome to UU! :music:

Steve vanPelt
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Had a question on the kasha bracing: Do you notice a difference in the sound compared to traditional soundboard bracing? On my Bucket List: complete the two week course at Hana Lima. Thanks for sharing your beautiful ukes and welcome to UU! :music:

I don't know how to answer that, Kailua. They all sound different. It sure looks cool, though. I'm working on consistency and hopefully with some experience I'll be able to build a couple where the bracing is the only difference:o.

As for Hana Lima 'ia school, man, go for it before bucket time so you can enjoy your build(s) longer!

Steve

funkyjedi
11-13-2009, 04:54 AM
So cool! Those uke's look amazing. Wonderful work.