PDA

View Full Version : Kala Acacia tenor or Mainland Mahog Tenor????

sgolden
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I am looking to add to my uke collection. I currently have a Lanikai S-TEQ and after thorough research, narrowed my choices down to the Kala Acacia tenor or the Mainland Mahog tenor. I'd like the new uke i purchase to have some volume and sustain to it, while have a smooth tone to accompany vocals--I'm pretty much a solo act (mainly b/c I'm still new at this).

The Kala is available now, from what i've seen the Mainland won't be available until around mid-to-late December.

If I buy a case with the Mainland, the price is about the same for each. I've heard samples of each and really can't make up mind what one sounds best.

I know they are both great products and I'd love to purchase both, but I have to keep my marriage together.

Which would you choose?? :confused:

thanks!

bt93
11-12-2009, 02:44 PM
i would personally go with the kala. it has a slotted headstock and beautiful inlays

ukantor
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I've ordered a Kala Acacia soprano, so you can guess which way I would jump. On the other hand I LOVE mahogany ukes, and Mainland have a very good reputation.

I know that doesn't help you, but isn't it great to have a choice?:D

Ukantor.

mailman
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Go ahead and buy them both....then, to save the marriage, decide which you like better so you can send me the other one! Glad to help. That's what we're here for.... ;)

mds725
11-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I have a Kala acacia tenor. It's a beautiful instrument and I love playing it. I've never played a Mainland mahogany tenor (or any Mainland uke), so I can't compare them. I confess, though, that with all the raves Mainland has been getting here lately, I'm thinking about getting a Mainland mahogany uke (probably a soprano, as I already have a Kala mahogany concert). Good luck with your decision.

flyingace
11-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I love my Kala Acacia Tenor. wonderful! Never played a mainland tho, the slotted concert he makes now looks like something i'd really like tho! I can't say enough good about MGM or Kala Ukes tho!

Mr. Miyagi
11-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I love my Kala also. It's sounds and looks great!

paw123los
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
You can't go wrong with Kala Acacia - I love mine. Don't know about Mainland, never played one but I hope I will have that oportunity in the future :)

austin1
11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
I might be more than a little biased, but I have the kala acacia tenor as well, and I absolutely love it. it sounds awesome and it's absolutely gorgeous. however, I only hear great things about mainlands, so it sounds to be like you can't go wrong either way!

buddhuu
11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Get both. Give one to your wife in order to save the marriage (but get her permission to play it constantly).

Sorted.

Ahnko Honu
11-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Coin toss for me as I love my Mainland pineapple but this past week end I got to handle and play a KALA Acacia tenor and she was sweeter sounding and better looking in person than I ever imagined, a great instrument especially for the money.