Kala Acacia tenor or Mainland Mahog Tenor????

sgolden

Reaction score
I am looking to add to my uke collection. I currently have a Lanikai S-TEQ and after thorough research, narrowed my choices down to the Kala Acacia tenor or the Mainland Mahog tenor. I'd like the new uke i purchase to have some volume and sustain to it, while have a smooth tone to accompany vocals--I'm pretty much a solo act (mainly b/c I'm still new at this).

The Kala is available now, from what i've seen the Mainland won't be available until around mid-to-late December.

If I buy a case with the Mainland, the price is about the same for each. I've heard samples of each and really can't make up mind what one sounds best.

I know they are both great products and I'd love to purchase both, but I have to keep my marriage together.

Which would you choose?? :confused:

thanks!

Last edited:
i would personally go with the kala. it has a slotted headstock and beautiful inlays

I've ordered a Kala Acacia soprano, so you can guess which way I would jump. On the other hand I LOVE mahogany ukes, and Mainland have a very good reputation.

I know that doesn't help you, but isn't it great to have a choice?:D

Ukantor.

Go ahead and buy them both....then, to save the marriage, decide which you like better so you can send me the other one! Glad to help. That's what we're here for.... ;)

I have a Kala acacia tenor. It's a beautiful instrument and I love playing it. I've never played a Mainland mahogany tenor (or any Mainland uke), so I can't compare them. I confess, though, that with all the raves Mainland has been getting here lately, I'm thinking about getting a Mainland mahogany uke (probably a soprano, as I already have a Kala mahogany concert). Good luck with your decision.

I love my Kala Acacia Tenor. wonderful! Never played a mainland tho, the slotted concert he makes now looks like something i'd really like tho! I can't say enough good about MGM or Kala Ukes tho!

You can't go wrong with Kala Acacia - I love mine. Don't know about Mainland, never played one but I hope I will have that oportunity in the future :)

I might be more than a little biased, but I have the kala acacia tenor as well, and I absolutely love it. it sounds awesome and it's absolutely gorgeous. however, I only hear great things about mainlands, so it sounds to be like you can't go wrong either way!

Get both. Give one to your wife in order to save the marriage (but get her permission to play it constantly).

Sorted.

Coin toss for me as I love my Mainland pineapple but this past week end I got to handle and play a KALA Acacia tenor and she was sweeter sounding and better looking in person than I ever imagined, a great instrument especially for the money.

Top Bottom