Banjo Planetary Tuners?

Darrel

Reaction score
I don't see anyone using banjo planetary geared tuners, is there a reason why? I personally think the pegheg tuners look too long, but want something that looks like a fiction tuner but has gears. The only thing I can come up with is a weight concern.

I'm getting ready to order a set of waverly's from Stew-Mac, unless theres a compelling reason not to.

Thanks,
-darrel

There are different sizes to the PegHeds, 13, 11, 9, and 7 mm, and I believe their ends can be trimmed/shaped, though I'm not positive of that. Their site used to have installation instructions that talked about that, as I recall, but now it just says, "Take it to a qualified luthier." Don't want to be responsible for screwing up an expensive violin, perhaps.

I'm pretty sure Bill Tapia has a tenor with banjo pegs.
EDIT: John Kavanagh's baritone had those same waverly pegs on it.

Break Angle

I think I understand it. What your saying is that the string hole in the post could possibly be to high above the head plate such that string angle coming over the back of the nut may not be steep enough.

Excellent point, I hadn't considerd this.

My necks have a 14 degree angle. I'll look closer at the tuner specs and see what it looks like.

Thanks,
-darrel

Top Bottom