PDA

View Full Version : leader board solution

SuperSecretBETA
11-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't want to prevent them from their own thread (it's fun to read from time to time), but maybe posts in the leader board thread shouldn't count. I used to be in a forum with an Off-Topic section similar to leader board where the posts simply don't count. Something just feels missing without post counts visible directly in the thread.

mrUKETOBER
11-12-2009, 04:50 PM
what do you mean they dont count ?

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 04:54 PM
what do you mean they dont count ?any posts you make in an off-topic forum don't count towards your user post count. But really... is that thread or post counts really a problem? I can't see why they would be. Who cares of someone wants x-many amount of posts, lol.

mrUKETOBER
11-12-2009, 05:01 PM
yea i know i just dont get .. why they shouldn't count .. whats it matter ?

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Shouldn't count?

Twords what?

Does the winner get a prize?

Count... like this forum is more than a place to talk with people who happen to enjoy the Ukukeke like I do? More than a place to chat with friends.

Do they count anyway? What for?

Count? COUNT?

Count, don't count.

dosen't matter.

count.....

sheesh.

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:11 PM
count .

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Really?

Do they count?

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:13 PM
count twords what?!?!??!!?

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Already took away "Ukulele Hero" lable, not that that was anything but a badge saying you spent a lot of time here.

Count...???

I need a drink.

mrUKETOBER
11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
ok ok ok before this gets out of hand can i just say that .. i dont really get what you mean man .. but why exactly do you say they shouldnt count ? what do they count for ? why shouldnt we get ours to count and everyone else does ? why why why lol but anyway ... im horribley sorry but i dont think this thread should have been started.. its to talk about why we SHOULDNT have something .. that everyone else has.. please dont make a thread to deprive us of something even if we dont know what it is

Melissa82
It might be a good idea to make it so the "off-topic" forums posts don't count. Maybe it would solve some of the whining about it, lol.

JT_Ukes
SOLUTION???.. is it a problem?

nevermind.

Forget I asked.

count

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:18 PM
ok ok ok before this gets out of hand can i just say that .. i dont really get what you mean man .. but why exactly do you say they shouldnt count ? what do they count for ? why shouldnt we get ours to count and everyone else does ? why why why lol but anyway ... im horribley sorry but i dont think this thread should have been started.. its to talk about why we SHOULDNT have something .. that everyone else has.. please dont make a thread to deprive us of something even if we dont know what it is

Whatever it is.. I want it.

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Unless that is the problem...

then I don't

I Think.

:confused:

deach
11-12-2009, 05:22 PM
The only I have to say about this is I love JT.

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:24 PM

That might be a problem....

:)

UkuleleHill
11-12-2009, 05:25 PM

:agree::agree:

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 05:30 PM
:agree::agree:But I thought you loved me. :mad:

pithaya9
11-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I just need to figure out how JT can post so fast.

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I just need to figure out how JT can post so fast.He's an android, duh.

UkuleleHill
11-12-2009, 05:38 PM
But I thought you loved me. :mad:

I have alot of love... I have to spread it around! :)

UkuleleHill
11-12-2009, 05:39 PM
I just need to figure out how JT can post so fast.

30 seconds in between thats 2 a min :)

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I have alot of love... I have to spread it around! :)Fine. :mad:

*grumble*

pithaya9
11-12-2009, 05:42 PM
30 seconds in between thats 2 a min :)

Now thats fast :D

UkuleleHill
11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Fine. :mad:

*grumble*

Sorry JT you are on your own this time...

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Sorry JT you are on your own this time...Victory! :D

Kanaka916
11-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Let's not turn this into a PW thread . . .

mrUKETOBER
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
can we not have it be a bashing thread either ?

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 05:55 PM
can we not have it be a bashing thread either ?It's not bashing. It's just singling out a single thread. but as I said, it would be a good idea if the Gen chat posts didn't count towards total post count if it really means that much to some people.

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm just amazed (gobsmacked even) that people are worring about it.

Doesn't matter to me.

I'm not here for the glory.

SuperSecretBETA
11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I didn't have a problem with it before, but I just wanted to come up with something to make a compromise with whoever was complaining. It already feels empty enough with rep gone. At least show post count or something. Seems bipartisan right?

experimentjon
11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't want to prevent them from their own thread (it's fun to read from time to time), but maybe posts in the leader board thread shouldn't count. I used to be in a forum with an Off-Topic section similar to leader board where the posts simply don't count. Something just feels missing without post counts visible directly in the thread.

I'm with you on this one. In a lot of forums, posts in the off topic section do not count. And I think it would make a lot of sense. It's a nice happy medium between where we are now, and where we have been before.

deach
11-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Posts counts are deceiving. If a newb sees someone with a million posts, he/she might think that person knows what they are talking about. If 999,999 of the posts were because that member was chatting away, the post count is meaningless. In theory, I agree with SSB however, 95% of my posts are sarcastic and pretty much useless. His suggestion doesn't really address people like me.

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Posts counts are deceiving. If a newb sees someone with a million posts, he/she might think that person knows what they are talking about. If 999,999 of the posts were because that member was chatting away, the post count is meaningless. In theory, I agree with SSB however, 95% of my posts are sarcastic and pretty much useless. His suggestion doesn't really address people like me.More posts does not mean you are more knowledgeable though. To me, no matter what way you look at it, post count means nothing more than how much time you spend on the site making replies, lol.

mrUKETOBER
11-12-2009, 06:22 PM
It's not bashing. It's just singling out a single thread. but as I said, it would be a good idea if the Gen chat posts didn't count towards total post count if it really means that much to some people.

i didnt mean you i meant bashing the pw thread but i agree that we shouldnt bash them either just kindly settle the differences

deach
11-12-2009, 06:36 PM
More posts does not mean you are more knowledgeable though. To me, no matter what way you look at it, post count means nothing more than how much time you spend on the site making replies, lol.

I agree with you 100% Look at my post count. I still don't know anything.

sukie
11-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I agree with you 100% Look at my post count. I still don't know anything.

Not true and you know it (not really sarcastic).

I'll admit I'm somewhat upset by the disappearance of the post numbers and the green dots. I've never understood what the big flap is about them though. I'd be so agreeable to the PW thread posts not counting. That's why I've tried very hard to peruse the other threads and post there also. Maybe I'm just resistant to change, I don't know. But I fail to see how taking those things away is going to make for a happier place. I'm not crazy about taking the rep points away either. Yes, it got a little out of hand recently perhaps, but take it away? Why not have mods or somebody tell those people to knock it off? Again, how does that make this a happier place? People can and will be nasty no matter what you do. However, HERE it's way, way more nice people who generally police themselves very well.

Sukie

mokai
11-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm just amazed (gobsmacked even) that people are worring about it.

Doesn't matter to me.

I'm not here for the glory.

glory? maybe if you're talking about 'ukulele hero' titles...post count alone has nothing to do with glory though

Every time I'm in a for sale thread, I check their post count first.
If I am reading opinions.. I check out the post count..

if they have 0, I'll look into their answer a lot further.
if they have 6000, I 'll assume they learned a thing or two in their post whoring and have a general idea of what they're talking about.

I only have 125 posts but I can give a lot better advice than when I had 0 posts.

I doubt it's a BIG deal to anyone, including SSB, but has proved a useful many times.

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
i didnt mean you i meant bashing the pw thread but i agree that we shouldnt bash them either just kindly settle the differencesI never said me, silly. ;)

I agree with you 100% Look at my post count. I still don't know anything. :spam:

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 07:31 PM
glory? maybe if you're talking about 'ukulele hero' titles...post count alone has nothing to do with glory though

Anyone know an emoticon to indicate dry wit? or sarcasm?

Yes... I know.

:)

Kanaka916
11-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Here's a suggestion . . how about making a PW Social Group and make it like a chat room. Everyone interested can join and partake in all the chatter and what not. It would probably be the biggest group we'll have.

Melissa82
11-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Here's a suggestion . . how about making a PW Social Group and make it like a chat room. Everyone interested can join and partake in all the chatter and what not. It would probably be the biggest group we'll have.The thread is not about being a post whore. it's just a thread where you shoot the s----. It's fun, you learn things, you can talk about anything, etc... I think the whole PW is just a way to get people talking, an excuse... ya know?

mokai
11-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Anyone know an emoticon to indicate dry wit? or sarcasm?

too dry and it will crack
50% humidity is a good number... works on my ukes

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Is it really a problem that needs a solution?

UkeNinja
11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I miss my postcount. It was a carefully composed body of useful, not so useful, witty, not so witty, poetic and sometimes more prosaic messages, but always a sincere token of my dedication to making these forums a little bit more fun.

Now with the visual markers gone, everyone's a noob. Or an expert. And PW-ing is so 2008... but I still praise the members who started the rage and then silently dropped out. That is so cool.

...hey, no need to be scared of neg rep anymore! Yay!

SuperSecretBETA
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Is it really a problem that needs a solution?

The problem is that the staff decided to go Nagasaki and Hiroshima on rep and post count due to complaints for whatever reasons from whomever they may be (I'll bet a small minority). I'm not sure it helped anything. I'm 50/50 on rep, but UkuleleUnderground is the first vBulletin forum I've ever seen go without post counts. It just seems like it's doing more harm than good. We have other choices. I don't see the point in nuking some basic tools/functions in the forum. I think it's a step in the wrong direction. That's why I proposed the idea to display post counts and not add to post counts in General Discussion sections. No rep is fine, but if people want something, an award system might work.

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
The problem is that the staff decided to go Nagasaki and Hiroshima on rep and post count due to complaints for whatever reasons from whomever they may be (I'll bet a small minority). I'm not sure it helped anything. I'm 50/50 on rep, but UkuleleUnderground is the first vBulletin forum I've ever seen go without post counts. It just seems like it's doing more harm than good. We have other choices. I don't see the point in nuking some basic tools/functions in the forum. I think it's a step in the wrong direction. That's why I proposed the idea to display post counts and not add to post counts in General Discussion sections. No rep is fine, but if people want something, an award system might work.

They didn't nuke the Post Count ...

for instantce:

You have

# Total Posts: 953
# Posts Per Day: 1.95

They just don't display them on each post.. they are still in your public profile.

SuperSecretBETA
11-12-2009, 09:44 PM
They just don't display them on each post.. they are still in your public profile.

It's inefficient to need to click a couple times to view a public profile instead of glancing to the right side for everyone's count.

mrUKETOBER
11-12-2009, 11:30 PM

but my thing is.. who the heck cares where post counts count ? what difference does it matter if we got our posts numbers from talking in another section ? for that instance you might as well take post counts off of... videos and links.. bass.. guitars.. introduce yourself.. yada yada yada.. its pointless to me why we would keep posts but not let ones in general discussion count ? i have learned far more in general discussion in the pw thread than i have on this site and that is a fact.. so i dont get why everyones panties are all in a bunch about it..

i agree i think they went backwards with doing away with the post count .. i think it was good to tak away the rep though.. but hey .. its not my site .. so oh well.. i just really dont see the point in having our posts not count ..

SuperSecretBETA
11-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Posts about video games, movies, sports and daily chitchat just seem less significant in the scope of an ukulele forum. Whether music related boards for an instrument other than ukulele might count is debatable, but the general boards go a little further off topic.

General is a fun place, but if posts don't matter to you, I don't see why you would object to them not counting anymore. If the only objection to the idea is an outspoken "who cares," then leave it to people who might.

I know post count shouldn't be weighed too heavily, but it's certainly something to take into account for some. The concept seems to work fine in other forums. I'm just trying to be reasonable and throw the idea out there. Whether or not the staff will take note is entirely up to them.

I thought it was fine before the change. The change to nuke things was all too sudden without discussion. It would be nice to have some quasi-democratic system before decisions like that are made. Anywho, I made enough of a case for my proposal. I think I nearly killed the horse. I'll give it a nice stack of hay and a barn to rest in. :)

mrUKETOBER
11-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Posts about video games, movies, sports and daily chitchat just seem less significant in the scope of an ukulele forum. Whether music related boards for an instrument other than ukulele might count is debatable, but the general boards go a little further off topic.

General is a fun place, but if posts don't matter to you, I don't see why you would object to them not counting anymore. If the only objection to the idea is an outspoken "who cares," then leave it to people who might.

I know post count shouldn't be weighed too heavily, but it's certainly something to take into account for some. The concept seems to work fine in other forums. I'm just trying to be reasonable and throw the idea out there. Whether or not the staff will take note is entirely up to them.

I thought it was fine before the change. The change to nuke things was all too sudden without discussion. It would be nice to have some quasi-democratic system before decisions like that are made. Anywho, I made enough of a case for my proposal. I think I nearly killed the horse. I'll give it a nice stack of hay and a barn to rest in. :)

because like i said ive learned ALOT more in the general section about ukulele than i have on the entire site ! i learned stuff there that the site didnt offer and people in "qualified/approved ukulele sections" didnt know answers to.. so i dont think ANYONE has the right to take away whether or not our posts count and keep others.. i never said i dont care about posts.. it was a fun game we had going in the general section but.. i post everywhere on the site not just general.. i post alot in the luther's section and some in uke talk and in contests and where i find interests.. i just dont see why you still have not given a good reason as to WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY i dont really care id just like to know

hoosierhiver
11-13-2009, 04:52 AM
I used to frequent a beekeeping forum where there wasn't a PW thread, but there was a post count. There were a few people that would constantly submit prattle on threads, I suppose to raise their "status". It was somewhat irritating to have to skim thru several posts that said nothing to get to something meatier.
Don't get me wrong, I love to get off topic when there is something funny to be said and I want people to feel comfortable chiming in. I think a PW thread provides a great social outlet for members who want to have a place to goof around daily and not worry about muddying up a serious thread.
I thought the removal of the rep points and post counts was fine, but now with it gone, I am noticing how often I glanced at the post count as a quick indicator if the person has been a regular here,(PW or not).

Kanaka916
11-13-2009, 06:17 AM
The thread is not about being a post whore. it's just a thread where you shoot the s----. It's fun, you learn things, you can talk about anything, etc... I think the whole PW is just a way to get people talking, an excuse... ya know?
Proposing an alternative format . . . BTW, what else would you call this? Your description fits what a PW thread is.

Melissa82
11-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Proposing an alternative format . . . BTW, what else would you call this? Your description fits what a PW thread is.Post whore to me is someone who wants to up their post count. I don't post in that thread because of that, I post in it for the reasons I listed. But in the end, why does it matter? This is getting ridiculous and if it keeps up, I'm just going to stop posting anything but maybe uke talk... is that how you guys want it? I doubt it. We want to make friends. And as Nic said, he learned a lot more about ukes in the gen chat. I'd have to say the same goes with me.

nohandles
11-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Having a count of my posts doesn't mean anything to me. I think we are hear to learn, share, solve problems and above all else have fun. At the end of the day what else is there? Doug

russ_buss
11-13-2009, 07:56 AM
what i think would be really great is if there was a "piss and moan meter". like for every 5th complaint post, you get a teardrop by your screenname. :)

i'll start. i wish mcdonald's still served the deep fried apple pies like they had when i was a kid. the baked ones just aren't the same! :mad::mad::mad:

bbycrts
11-13-2009, 08:13 AM

Me too. Just found this. JT is making it tolerable. I hope all his comments count. I haven't read to the end. I have a feeling it gets nasty.

sukie
11-13-2009, 08:16 AM
what i think would be really great is if there was a "piss and moan meter". like for every 5th complaint post, you get a teardrop by your screenname. :)

i LOVE that idea! Russell, you are brilliant!

does this post count? oh yea, no.

bbycrts
11-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Here's a suggestion . . how about making a PW Social Group and make it like a chat room. Everyone interested can join and partake in all the chatter and what not. It would probably be the biggest group we'll have.

But everybody interested CAN join and partake in all the chatter and whatnot.

(Directed to everybody else, not Kanaka:)

Please, reset my post count to zero and make it stay there. It means nothing to me compared to the information I've gotten from this site and the friends I've made here.

The town hall was about how we can bring some peace back to this place, restore the sense of aloha, refocus on the mission of UU. I don't see how any of this discussion is contributing to any of that.

Since the town hall I have doubled my own efforts to welcome new people to UU, to contribute in all the threads where I have something valuable to offer, AND to keep my favorite place - the chat thread - a calm, happy refuge for people who want to share some clean fun and a place where we police ourselves so even the mods can come in and let their hair down and just be themselves.

I AM opposed to making it a social group, though - because you have to go looking for it to join it. We WANT new people to join us! Don't hide the chatter away in a social group - keep it open and accessible to everybody wandering by. We've had some great new people joining us lately, helping to keep it fresh - I don't know if they would've found us if we were in a social group.

My two pennies, for whatever they're worth.

bbycrts
11-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Having a count of my posts doesn't mean anything to me. I think we are hear to learn, share, solve problems and above all else have fun. At the end of the day what else is there? Doug

Doug, I'd positive rep you again if I could.

bbycrts
11-13-2009, 08:28 AM

i'll start. i wish mcdonald's still served the deep fried apple pies like they had when i was a kid. the baked ones just aren't the same! :mad::mad::mad:

I guess I have to piss and moan about your piss and moan, Russ. I vastly prefer the baked pies. The fried ones were too much like hostess pies...the baked ones are soooo full of flaky goodness!

russ_buss
11-13-2009, 08:40 AM
I guess I have to piss and moan about your piss and moan, Russ. I vastly prefer the baked pies. The fried ones were too much like hostess pies...the baked ones are soooo full of flaky goodness!

haha, do you mean the homerun pies, the ones that have a shelf life of "forever" and taste like biting into a candle? i used to really enjoy those.

okay, complaint #2. bring back the McRib sandwich, damnit! it had a lot of rep points in my book.

nohandles
11-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Doug, I'd positive rep you again if I could.

Thanks Jon,

I'm searching for my third job in 8 months and in the age bracket where we have - it seams - to have become worthless. 797 resumes out and 5776 head hunters looking. No kidding. I come here to relax get away from writing how great I am and have fun. Diversion from life so to speak.
I really like this forum and it is always the first one to be opened when I get up in the morning and the last to be looked at at bed time. Music is a great heart mender and a great pass time so we need to just Lighten up and have fun. There will always be scammers and Jerks no matter where you are, just know it and come here for the great people who make up UU- Doug Ok off my soap box LOL

UkuleleHill
11-13-2009, 09:10 AM
haha, do you mean the homerun pies, the ones that have a shelf life of "forever" and taste like biting into a candle? i used to really enjoy those.

okay, complaint #2. bring back the McRib sandwich, damnit! it had a lot of rep points in my book.

I have to agree... The McRib was THE PANTS!

hoosierhiver
11-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I have to agree... The McRib was THE PANTS!

I concur!
The deep fried apple pies were great too, I'd burn the sh*t out of my mouth every time, but it was worth it. I have boycotted McD's for about 20 years now, but I would maybe make an exception for one of them.

SuperSecretBETA
11-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Answer to the why: For some reason, staff took posts away. I personally don't know why, but I have a hunch chit-chat in Leader Board had something to do with it. If so, there should a compromise instead of simply appeasing people concerned about PW-ing. I know most people aren't in Leader Board to PW, but some people (stop including me as a complainer) obviously made a deal out of it.

I posted at least 5 times there, so I don't have anything against Leader Board. I'm not against letting them count, but I wanted some sort of compromise if we actually need to satisfy the complainers. Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm taking up all the flames because I don't see where I actually provoked anyone. I think it's silly that it got so dramatic. Forgive me for trying to meet the needs halfway with a moderate stance. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to see post counts again and somehow appease whoever prompted its removal. I know rep was somewhat pointless, but post counts have some merit worth keeping. I keep glancing and there's nothing. I used post counts as a little basic way to see if they're a regular.

I guess since the people who complained about post counts aren't really discussing it here (possibly for anonymity against the flames), we could probably just bring back post count and dismiss those complaints altogether.

Okay, I think I'm really done this time... LOL

mrUKETOBER
11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Answer to the why: For some reason, staff took posts away. I personally don't know why, but I have a hunch chit-chat in Leader Board had something to do with it. If so, there should a compromise instead of simply appeasing people concerned about PW-ing. I know most people aren't in Leader Board to PW, but some people (stop including me as a complainer) obviously made a deal out of it.

I posted at least 5 times there, so I don't have anything against Leader Board. I'm not against letting them count, but I wanted some sort of compromise if we actually need to satisfy the complainers. Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm taking up all the flames because I don't see where I actually provoked anyone. I think it's silly that it got so dramatic. Forgive me for trying to meet the needs halfway with a moderate stance. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to see post counts again and somehow appease whoever prompted its removal. I know rep was somewhat pointless, but post counts have some merit worth keeping. I keep glancing and there's nothing. I used post counts as a little basic way to see if they're a regular.

I guess since the people who complained about post counts aren't really discussing it here (possibly for anonymity against the flames), we could probably just bring back post count and dismiss those complaints altogether.

Okay, I think I'm really done this time... LOL

i wasnt trying to flame you by any means man lol i was just asking why .. and now that you have answered why i am good lol ... but i do agree it was a good idea to try to come up with a compromise and meet in the middle.. i think if you want to take that up with the site than it would prolly be better to send them an email .. but im sorry to say to the complainers.. whoever you may be.. i dont know why a complaint would be brought up about the "pw thread" about post counts.. im sorry but that is just ridiculous.. who cares if people spend their time in their chattin away.. this is a FORUM you are supposed to talk.. lol thats kinda what you do on those things.. annnyyway.. i liked the post counts because like someone else has said.. it helps with knowing who has been here a while.. i mean be honest.. it takes a little time to post 5000 times.. esp with the 30 second wait in between posts. lol so if im in marketplace and i want to buy a uke i look at post count first.. and like someone else said i look at the post counts of others commenting on the uke for sale .. while the counts are away i will not buy a uke from marketplace.. i was interested in one the other day but didnt make an effort simply because the post counts were gone and i was in quite a hurry and didnt have time to go track this guys profile down to see if he had 1 post or 1000 posts...anyways lol

bbycrts
11-13-2009, 11:06 AM

I would walk a mile for a McRib. Except the pickle - why on earth would they put a pickle on a McRib? I mean, it's easy enough to take off...but why start down that road in the first place?

bbycrts
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
McDonald's complaint #3: why must their prime spice for anything chicken related be PEPPER?

JT_Ukes
11-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I hope they bring the post count back.. I was only 23 posts away form the secret decoder ding....

"d..r...i..n..k..m...o..r..e..o..v..e..l..t..i.n... . well F%$%&!"

GrumpyCoyote
11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Congrats - this thread just made my head explode.

Shutting it down because the suggestion was made and noted - and the rest of this thing - well, made my head explode.