Hawaii January 2010: What acts I should see?

DangerLaef

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm visiting Hawaii January 2010. (not 1010 ..oops)

I've got a little cash set aside for a Koa ukulele as a travelling aid & souvenir.
I think I've found plenty of shops to visit, but if you have any recommendation I'd like to hear them..

Most importantly, what Uke virtuosos might be playing while I'm there?

I was hoping Jake might have some quiet local gigs, but none are advertised on his site.

Where might I hear Aldrine play?
Who else should I try & catch?

thanks,
Laef

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I'm visiting Hawaii January 1010.

I've got a little cash set aside for a Koa ukulele as a travelling aid & souvenir.
I think I've found plenty of shops to visit, but if you have any recommendation I'd like to hear them..

Most importantly, what Uke virtuosos might be playing while I'm there?

I was hoping Jake might have some quiet local gigs, but none are advertised on his site.

Where might I hear Aldrine play?
Who else should I try & catch?

thanks,
Laef

Hmmm, time machine back to 1010. 'Ukulele not invented for several centuries, and about the only thing to see are fish ponds, and taro fields. You might get mistaken for a deity but the Hawaiian might test your supernaturalness by jabbing you with a spear, and if they see blood watch out. ;)

Seriously, check for Taimane Gardner, and Troy Fernandez. Sometimes they're playing right on the sidewalk in Waikiki. Check the flea market at Aloha Stadium for 'Ukulele deals. If you want a K brand 'ukulele at a great price check out the KoAloha 'ukulele factory and pick up a factory second for much less in price but barely noticeable if at all minor finish flaw.
I was assuming you would be on Oahu. Aldrine is on Kaua'i, where you gonna be?

Seriously, check for Taimane Gardner, and Troy Fernandez. Sometimes they're playing right on the sidewalk in Waikiki. Check the flea market at Aloha Stadium for 'Ukulele deals. If you want a K brand 'ukulele at a great price check out the KoAloha 'ukulele factory and pick up a factory second for much less in price but barely noticeable if at all minor finish flaw.
I was assuming you would be on Oahu. Aldrine is on Kaua'i, where you gonna be?

Troy Fernandez Plays out on Waikiki every Sunday or Saturday I believe if he and his daughter (or daughters I forget).

http://www.youtube.com/user/tntmusic2729

He says it on one of his video's that's his Youtube account.

Troy plays at Kalakaua and Seaside, every Friday and Saturday 7-11 pm, except when he has a gig elsewhere. He is the opening act for his daughters Tory and Tia.

Alain.

Definately stop by Larry's Music in Kapa'a when you're on Kaua'i.

Sam (the owner) is a really cool guy! I THINK he may be one of the largest Kamaka dealers and knows a ton about ukuleles. He also carries other "K" brands as well as the much less expensive Kamoas.

You can hang out there and jam w/ him and/or ask him to teach you a song while he's in between customers. You may even catch one of the UU staff while you're there too! I'm usually there for a couple of hours when I visit :D

Definately stop by Larry's Music in Kapa'a when you're on Kaua'i.

Sam (the owner) is a really cool guy! I THINK he may be one of the largest Kamaka dealers and knows a ton about ukuleles. He also carries other "K" brands as well as the much less expensive Kamoas.

You can hang out there and jam w/ him and/or ask him to teach you a song while he's in between customers. You may even catch one of the UU staff while you're there too! I'm usually there for a couple of hours when I visit :D

I second that recommendation. My fave ukulele shops are Larry's in Kapa'a and Puapua in Waikiki (I know their prices are high, but they have so many drool worthy ukes).

You should also try to check out a performance by Aldrine and Rayan if you can while you are in Kauai.

Top Bottom