The first couple builds

thistle3585

Reaction score
Here are numbers 1, 2 and 4. The first two were built for my wife and son and four was built for my niece who hasn't shown up for it since it was completed a couple months ago. I built number three at the request of my sister to be auctioned off to raise funds for a guide dog service that she is involved in. As part of the auction, I documented the build for the buyer. The powerpoint presentation is here at the bottom of the page. Numbers 5,6 and 7 are still in process.

Just thought I'd share what I have done and/or am doing.

Andrew

Attachments

• 100_2319.jpg
    100_2319.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 56
My first builds

Here are numbers 1, 2 and 4. The first two were built for my wife and son and four was built for my niece who hasn't shown up for it yet. I built number three at the request of my sister to be auctioned off to raise funds for a guide dog service that she is involved in. As part of the auction, I documented the build for the buyer. The powerpoint presentation is HERE at the bottom of the page. Numbers 5,6 and 7 are still in process.

Just thought I'd share what I have done and/or am doing.

Andrew

Attachments

• 100_2319.jpg
    100_2319.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 38
are these kits or all full construction? :p

Very cool. Handsome looking ukes. Would you mind talking a little bit more about the middle one? Thanks for sharing.

Very cool. Handsome looking ukes. Would you mind talking a little bit more about the middle one? Thanks for sharing.

Somehow, I posted this topic in the video section in addition to the builders section. Not quite sure how I did that. Or did someone move it?

Well, ot sure what you want to know but the middle one had a bit of figure to it so I used a red mahogany stain to even the color out a little bit. The ones on either side of it are natural finishes. It is bound with tortoise shell binding and the rosette is white/tortoise/white. There is an end graft strip in tortoise also. Interestingly, I thought this one was over built but the tone was head and shoulders above the first and I wasn't quite sure why until a couple weeks later I came upon the bridge plate and realized I hadn't installed it. The top is so thick that it hasn't sagged but #3 and 4 have thinner tops with a bridge plate and they sound identical.

Since I build mandolins, I have an affinity for truss rods and or some sort of stiffener so I use a three piece glued up neck since there is no truss rod. It doesn't need it but it makes me feel better and I like the stripe down the center of the neck. The center strip is walnut. I'll try and get my son to record a song on it and I'll post a video.

The bridge is rosewood with corian saddle. My son just took over my wife's concert size, so this one is sitting idle. I don't build concerts because a friend of mine does, Dave Gill, and I don't want to compete with him so I guess I'll need to get to work on a tenor and put the sopranos aside. Hope that answers your questions.

Andrew

Last edited:
Hey Andrew-- so you've come over to the Dark Side! Welcome.
Nice looking ukes for sure.
People-- Andrew makes some beautiful instruments.

I'm surprised more luthiers don't stain. Does it have some kind of unwanted effect on the sound?

I love the look of that uke. Thanks for expounding on it.

I'm surprised more luthiers don't stain. Does it have some kind of unwanted effect on the sound?

I love the look of that uke. Thanks for expounding on it.

I believe many do. My mahogany uke is stained, as are the mainland mangos (only some mango wood is orange, and it isn't that orange). Even my KoAloha has something that makes it that honey tan color. I can see where it's been scraped away by the last owner, not to mention the color of the wood I can see through the sound hole.

Thanks for the nice comments. No, I don't think staining affects the tone and most ukes are left natural to highlight the figure. I would guess that those that are stained is just to blend the various shades found in the wood.

Top Bottom