New (Very Old) Uke Day For Me!

R

RyanMFT

Hey Everyone,
I have to share the uke I got last night. This one popped up in the places I search and I was super lucky to get it. Royal Hawaiian, made by Kumalae. Condition is amazing. Looks like it was made yesterday. It came with the original case as well! Put some new strings on it and it really sings!

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz199/RyanMFT_photos/KumalaeUkulele.jpg

KumalaeUkulele.jpg

Last edited:
:agree: As JT said Nice Find. That thing looks almost new.

Thanks for the quick responses! I knew you all would share my excitement!
I really have to credit my wife who was a BIG part of making it happen. She jumped in the car and drove with me an hour and a half (each way) on a WORK NIGHT to see this uke!

It looks like it is new, doesn't seem like it was played more then a few times in its life. When we were driving home, I played it the whole way, and my wife spontaneously said "this may sound silly but I was just filled with a powerful feeing that this ukulele finally feels relieved and glowing with happiness now that it is finally with someone who will love it". What could I say....but "I love you".

Here are a couple more shots! I am super excited to have it, and it was a great deal!

KumalaeUkulele2.jpg

KumalaeUkulele3.jpg

That's just gorgeous, congrats!

Great find, difficult to find on Mainland without cracks, actually from anywhere at it's age without cracks.

Thanks for the quick responses! I knew you all would share my excitement!
I really have to credit my wife who was a BIG part of making it happen. She jumped in the car and drove with me an hour and a half (each way) on a WORK NIGHT to see this uke!

It looks like it is new, doesn't seem like it was played more then a few times in its life. When we were driving home, I played it the whole way, and my wife spontaneously said "this may sound silly but I was just filled with a powerful feeing that this ukulele finally feels relieved and glowing with happiness now that it is finally with someone who will love it". What could I say....but "I love you".

Here are a couple more shots! I am super excited to have it, and it was a great deal!

KumalaeUkulele2.jpg

KumalaeUkulele3.jpg

She's a keeper... the uke is nice, too. :)

My wife is wonderful and very happy to hear me play music. She has grown to love ukulele almost as much as I do.

Great find! It's in amazing shape, too. Hope it gets the attention and playing time that it's deserved for 80 years!

My guitar-fixing guy has a similar one in his shop for restoration, but it's nearly unrecognizable and needs new wood in some places. I've yet to see one in person that isn't mangled due to abuse or neglect.

Thanks for your thoughts and kind words. It does look like it just came from the factory! I just feel so amazingly lucky to have found it.

I played with a friend today. He was playing his fluke and I was blown away at how much louder the Kumalae was in comparison! It has a really loud, clear voice.

The color contrast is really beautiful in person. It is somewhat washed out in the first picture above compared to reality. Also, the label inside is super cool. It has palm trees, with Diamond Head in the background. Between the trees and Diamond Head is the ocean with an outrigger canoe with people paddling and it says "It's a Royal Hawaiian ukulele" "Genuine Koa" "Made in Hawaii".

What an incredible find, RyanMFT! Is this your first vintage uke? I give you fair warning, the passion for antique and vintage ukes is a rabid form of UAS that is distinctive and uniquely obsessing. I have been looking at Kumalae ukes myself, but I am currently hunting a different quarry.

The Kumalae family made excellent instruments. If you have not checked it out already, you should read the biography of Jonah Kumalae on the Ukulele Hall of Fame.

http://www.ukulele.org/?Inductees:2002-2003:Jonah_Kumalae

You have probably already noticed that Kumalae ukes have a distinctive shape. They have a "wasp waist".

I hope you get many more years of pleasure and beautiful music out of it. It is truly a treasure.

Thanks for the biography, I had no idea about Jonah Kumalae's life! My little Kumalae has a BIG sound. Played it with a vintage Martin today and the Kumalae blew it away in volume and richness! Which Kumalae are you looking for? Now you have my mind spinning.....

Also, I am aware of VUAS, I think I may be infected. I have a 40's Martin "0", a 40's/50's Favilla Soprano, a late 30's Richter made by Regal (with a great ocean/sun/palm tree silk screen, and a "Singing Treholipee". Maybe I should talk with a licensed therapist.....:eek:

Here's my Richter, I've never seen another like it.

6330_261430955351_651865351_8493369.jpg

Great story and a GREAT find!!! I agree with your wife, it was ment to be that you should have that uke to let it sing the way it was ment to!! Enjoy playing her!!!:)

Top Bottom