PDA

View Full Version : metal stains

hoosierhiver
11-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Howdy all,
I've been working on an old banjolele and it has ugly stains from the ancient tuning pegs, anyway to get rid of this, it seems to have gone into the wood.

RonS
11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Are the tuning pegs metal or wood?

What type of wood is the peghead?

hoosierhiver
11-13-2009, 10:47 AM
The original tuning pegs had metal parts that seem to have bled into the maple(?) making dark grey marks around the peg holes. It's not rust, I guess it's stain from tin maybe.

Doc_J
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I've used CLR to get rid of alot of rust (and lime) on lots of things, but I've never used it on wood. It might be worth a try if you are not trying to save the original finish.

RonS
11-13-2009, 10:57 AM
(sorry I didn't catch that you said metal in your first post)

What sounds like happen is the iron in the tuners reacted with the tanic acids in the wood.

Most times it is superficial, especially in maple.

The only way that I know to remove this would be to sand it out.
I'm guessing this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Edit In:

A photo would help

Matt Clara
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
And here I was hoping for some info on some cool new metallic stains we could apply to our ukes...

RonS
11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
And here I was hoping for some info on some cool new metallic stains we could apply to our ukes...

Soak some steel wool in vinegar for a few days, then brush on wood and watch what happens.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Soak some steel wool in vinegar for a few days, then brush on wood and watch what happens.

Instant ebony!

Pete Howlett
11-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Want that Gibson look? Dichromate of potash...

Steve vanPelt
11-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Howdy all,
I've been working on an old banjolele and it has ugly stains from the ancient tuning pegs, anyway to get rid of this, it seems to have gone into the wood.

Never tried it on an instrument, but I've used oxolic acid to get rid of stains like this on furniture.

erich@muttcrew.net
11-13-2009, 11:42 PM

Steel wool can sometimes stain your wood even without vinegar.

I almost ruined the front of a cajon (made of birch laminate) once - the stains weren't immediately visible but showed up a few hours later when we were ready to put the finish on it! Even after carefully sanding it off again (didn't want to go through the top layer) there were still some faint grayish streaks left.

RonS
11-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Steel wool can sometimes stain your wood even without vinegar.

I almost ruined the front of a cajon (made of birch laminate) once - the stains weren't immediately visible but showed up a few hours later when we were ready to put the finish on it! Even after carefully sanding it off again (didn't want to go through the top layer) there were still some faint grayish streaks left.

Common problem, bits of steel wool break off and gets stuck in the wood. You where lucky, most people find the problem after the finish has dried.