Hippo ivory update...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Got 30 sets out of the tooth/horn and I got some corian to cut up as well. The instruments that the ivory have gone on sound good and I like it's working properties. Will be doing a weekly search on ebay.uk for more supplies. Downside - the dust from it gets everywhere and stinks... it really stinks and penetrates your skin!

Really? Hippo teeth? Surely we can find better materials than body parts of endangered animals. This from the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species:

The 1996 assessment described Common Hippo populations as widespread and secure. Since then, there have been substantial changes in several key countries where Common Hippo are found. The most recent population estimates suggest that over the past 10 years there has been a 7–20% decline in Common Hippo populations. Over three generations (approximately 30 years), it is likely the population reductions will exceed the 30% size reduction considering both past and future. Although the causes of the population decline are known (exploitation and habitat loss), the threats have not ceased, nor is there evidence the threats will be removed in the near future. Therefore, the species is listed as Vulnerable A4cd.

Really? Hippo teeth? Surely we can find better materials than body parts of endangered animals. This from the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species:

The 1996 assessment described Common Hippo populations as widespread and secure. Since then, there have been substantial changes in several key countries where Common Hippo are found. The most recent population estimates suggest that over the past 10 years there has been a 7–20% decline in Common Hippo populations. Over three generations (approximately 30 years), it is likely the population reductions will exceed the 30% size reduction considering both past and future. Although the causes of the population decline are known (exploitation and habitat loss), the threats have not ceased, nor is there evidence the threats will be removed in the near future. Therefore, the species is listed as Vulnerable A4cd.

They all come from dead animals or correct sources. Its not like they go out and shot the darns things for there teeth. I have mammoth tusk pins in one of my ukes form a correct source so relax.

If I remember correctly, the tooth was salvaged almost 40 years ago. I don't know the life span of hippos, but at the time the tooth was salvaged I'm sure people weren't as worried about hippos.

Do you really think I would be stupid enough to use something that is illegal? This is a redux of a former thread about a purchase of hippo ivory over 40 years old that predates a ban or even a worry about conservation... doh! It was close to the root of tusk and in no way shows evidence that it was harvested inhumanely over 40 years ago... in fact it looked to me like salvage stock!

I don't hunt or fish and believe that animals should only be killed for food, not sport. The long ago history of this piece leaves me with a clear conscience about its purchase.

The smell is as bad as camel/buffalo/cow bone/horn.

Ivory dust is lethal. It's gets in your lungs and NEVER goes away. Much worse than pearl dust. I always figured if I could smell it I was likely doing damage to my lungs.
BTW, it's not a tooth, it's a tusk. Small matter but hippos have both.
Weary: Mastodon ivory is pretty old, 40,000 years or so, so you're pretty safe. It's considered "fossil" but it's not fossilized, only mineralized. Mastadon, wooly mammoth, and walrus of the "fossil" variety are all OK to use. I like to avoid anything that might be mistaken for fresh (elephant, whale, hippo) except for boar which is plentiful and considered a nuisance by most here. There have been a lot of techniques used to make new ivory look old. One of the biggest problems in using ivory of any kind in instruments is dealing with the custom officers. Ivory, no matter what kind, raises a big red flag with them, unless you have documentation. Horror stories abound. If you use it, keep it at home.
The CITES Treaty was signed in 1973, the hippo added to the list (appendix 2) 10 or 15 years ago, I can't remember for sure. All I'm saying is to be careful.

Last edited:
Hippo Tusks are actually their lower canine teeth ...

Elephant Tusks are upper Incisor teeth

Walrus Oosik is true bone........

A friend of mine recently gave me a set of curly koa and enough ivory to make a saddle and nut. Along with the ivory came an affidavit of it's legal pre-ban harvest. It was the damnedest thing. I actually don't want to use it. There's no telling where in the world the uke I build using the ivory will end up. Last thing I need is a customs officer confiscating months and thousands of dollars of work!

Last thing I need is a customs officer confiscating months and thousands of dollars of work!

And that does happen.

A few years back on another forum someone had his pre-WW2 Martin with Brazilian rosewood back and sides confiscated at the airport. Took him a few months but he got it back. When he did he was pretty upset because someone was playing it and added a few new dings. Of course he couldn't prove it

Don't say that you love me (aiiiiyeeeee!)
Just tell me that you want me (aiiiiyeeeee!)

TUSK!

Okay, to be honest I would love to play the same uke with bone, ivory, Tusq, and hippo tooth nuts/saddles just to discern if I could hear or feel any difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom