Uke Minutes 13 - Tremolo Technique

Holy cow. I tried going fast. It didn't look that hard. But after like ten seconds, my thumb got super tired. It felt exactly like my arms after doing some hard dumbell curls. Haha, it'll be forever until I can do something like what Aldrine did at the end of the video.

And with the thumb technique I have a minor problem. The string keeps getting caught on that part of my finger just under the nail. Am i doing the tecnhique wrong?

I do the one where you anchor your hand and move your index finger really fast. Doing it this way is effective, but my finger gets really tired after about a minute of doing that. :p

Jon: I used to get it caught under my nail too. Maybe your nail is shaped wrong? I played around with the shaping of the nail with my file and found that it became easier when I shaped it.

Last edited:
i never tought of useing my thumb
i use my index finger but now i have more veriety so now i dont get to tierd .

thanks Aldrine :D

Very cool. I am liking the most recent uke minutes more and more. I anchor and play tremolo with my pointer. I place my thumb against my pointer for extra support and control. Still....not even close to the matrix blur that Aldrine creates...ahh..someday I will get there.

As someone once said...."practice makes practicing perfect":D

I've been trying to learn Gypsy Ukulele so this Uke Minute is pretty helpful. It does seem like it takes quite a bit of talent to do a good tremolo though. I guess it's practice, practice, and practice some more for me!

Sorry for the dumb question / slightly off-topic, but what is that ukulele Aldrine is using? The headstock looks like the Koa Pili Koko from rayan's video review, just wondering.... that KPK looked really nice in the review and the web pics, just too bad there wasn't too much real playing in there.
I for one would be very interested to hear of any followup on that initial review.

Anyway, thanks for another task on my to-do list of uke techniques...;)

Was that System of a Down at the end? kick-ass!!

hahahahaha. Thanks. You're the only one that noticed. Good job! :D

Sorry for the dumb question / slightly off-topic, but what is that ukulele Aldrine is using? The headstock looks like the Koa Pili Koko from rayan's video review, just wondering.... that KPK looked really nice in the review and the web pics, just too bad there wasn't too much real playing in there.
I for one would be very interested to hear of any followup on that initial review.

Anyway, thanks for another task on my to-do list of uke techniques...;)

yeah. That's Ryan's Koa Pili Koko. This was shot while I was visiting up on Oahu and I didn't have my Kamaka on me. I hope that this is the only time I ever forget. Hahahaha.

That's Ryan's Koa Pili Koko...I hope that this is the only time I ever forget. Hahahaha.

:( Oh man... leave us not wondering... Did you smash it afterwards, get a rash from it, feel nauseated after you tremoloed it to splinters? Details please...

Actually, I thought the sound was kind of OK...but that may be a biased ear wreaking havoc on my good reason :cool:

Top Bottom