6 String Concert

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Who sells them? I've been looking online for two days after finding deach's thread about 6 string concerts and I can't seem to find anyone other than Mele that makes them.

I think those might be tenors

I was hoping to get a 6 string mainland concert but it doesn't look like those exist.

I think those might be tenors

You're right, those are tenors. But the Kala tenors might be less expensive than the Mele or Kanile'a concert 6 string.

I played a Mele 6 string concert in Maui, and it was very, very nice. I almost bought it, but it isn't quite as good for picking as it is for strumming. And I usually pick more than strum. I think I liked the mahogany better than the koa for tone.

The 6 string is a little harder to fret, and the 8 string more so. But, what a sound! Very full and deep.

–Lori

You're right, those are tenors. But the Kala tenors might be less expensive than the Mele or Kanile'a concert 6 string.

I played a Mele 6 string concert in Maui, and it was very, very nice. I almost bought it, but it isn't quite as good for picking as it is for strumming. And I usually pick more than strum. I think I liked the mahogany better than the koa for tone.

The 6 string is a little harder to fret, and the 8 string more so. But, what a sound! Very full and deep.

–Lori
Hmm, I want a 6 string but if it's harder to fret, I'm not sure if a concert is good for me unless it's even harder on a tenor, lol...

Hmm, I want a 6 string but if it's harder to fret, I'm not sure if a concert is good for me unless it's even harder on a tenor, lol...

I think the 6 string seemed just a little harder, since the doubled strings are thinner than the regular strings (or so I was told). But the 8 string was a little too much for me, and since I had a similar experience with my 12 string Epiphone guitar years ago (my brother has that now), I decided if I was going to add one to my collection, it would be a 6 string.

The sound is very different than the 4 string ukes. I will eventually get one, I am sure. It fills the room with sound!

–Lori

I think the 6 string seemed just a little harder, since the doubled strings are thinner than the regular strings (or so I was told). But the 8 string was a little too much for me, and since I had a similar experience with my 12 string Epiphone guitar years ago (my brother has that now), I decided if I was going to add one to my collection, it would be a 6 string.

The sound is very different than the 4 string ukes. I will eventually get one, I am sure. It fills the room with sound!

–Lori
Ohhh, so I thought it was 6 separate strings, not double on the last 2. If I want 6 separate ones, would I be looking for a baritone or tenor?

Ohhh, so I thought it was 6 separate strings, not double on the last 2. If I want 6 separate ones, would I be looking for a baritone or tenor?

6 separate strings would be a guitarlele (guitalele). You would have to go to a tenor or baritone size for that. Another choice would be a quarter sized guitar / travel size guitar or parlor guitar. There have been a few threads on this, so check them out.

I have tried a few guitarleles, and so far have not been overly impressed. It is hard for the wound strings to sing like the non-wound ones.

Kanile'a, KoAloha, Mele, Kala, and Yamaha (in Canada) make them. I haven't tried a KoAloha or Kala yet. Hoping to try one out at NAMM.

–Lori

Last edited:
Top Bottom