O Kay?

Sambient

Reaction score
Vintage Kay. Starting to separate a little.
Here comes the ignorant question. Since I read folks talking about their solid wood ukuleles really opening up sound-wise once they have matured, is it alright to be playing one that has shifted some and started to literally open up?
Still very solid feeling, not flimsy.

It would be easy enough to got get some Franklin s or Tight Bond Hide glue work it in and clamp it. Before it self destructs it the time to fix it. By the way Home Depot and Lowe's both sell hide glus

It all depends upon how it is "opening up" and where. Splits in the wood require a different approach from seams and joints which are coming apart.

A tight crack can often be tolerated, and may not get any worse, but gaping joints are bad news, and should be attended to properly.

John Colter.

A friend inherited one from her grandmother and gave it to me to inspect... with her one the bridge was slowly seperating off the soundboard and the tuners had long since given up working properly... the strings were also extremely brittle and snapped while I was trying to get some life out of the tuners.

If you're not up to some DIY, find a luthier. I did simply because I didn't want to be messing with a uke that had high sentimental value for my friend. He reattached the bridge, replaced the tuners, cleaned it up and threw on some new strings... it sounds really nice now :)

Top Bottom