roller derby and uke. the only two things that matter

lochtessmonster

Reaction score
okay, maybe hockey too.

Hi, I'm Tess from central california. Started out playing sax, then electric, then upright bass, then cello, viola, mandolin, and because my husband didn't know what to do with it I picked up a uke. Like some people, and places, things can give you a sense of home. That uke felt like home. And now, like roller derby it's an obsession.

I've been playing for about a year and a half and proudly spreading the Gospel of Uke to anyone that will listen.

"I'm sorry, you've had a bad week, you know what you need? Uke and a glass of wine." "Breakup with your boyfriend? Uke time, baby." I have converted a happy lot of uke players in my short time with it. But I firmly believe in sharing the things we find in life that make us happy. Sometimes they make other people happy too.

Last edited:
Hey there, Tess! Roller Derby and Uke? You are officially my hero. Welcome to UU! Keep spreading the gospel.

I feel strangely attracted. Wouldn't take my best uke to go roller derby though. You will be best off with a "beater". Apparently solid ukes are a crowd favorite in that aspect.

:rock:

Wouldn't take my best uke to go roller derby though. You will be best off with a "beater". Apparently solid ukes are a crowd favorite in that aspect.

Iwouldn't take my uke to derby for anything. Though I have been known to bring it to practice and I bring one to work with me every day.

I work in radio, but I'm the copyeditor/graphic/web design/code monkey/gal friday. So days where there's not much going on, it's uke time, lunch breaks are often practice time.

okay, maybe hockey too.

Hi, I'm Tess from central california. Started out playing sax, then electric, then upright bass, then cello, viola, mandolin, and because my husband didn't know what to do with it I picked up a uke. Like some people, and places, things can give you a sense of home. That uke felt like home. And now, like roller derby it's an obsession.

I've been playing for about a year and a half and proudly spreading the Gospel of Uke to anyone that will listen.

"I'm sorry, you've had a bad week, you know what you need? Uke and a glass of wine." "Breakup with your boyfriend? Uke time, baby." I have converted a happy lot of uke players in my short time with it. But I firmly believe in sharing the things we find in life that make us happy. Sometimes they make other people happy too.

lets go Sharks.

You had me at roller derby. :D

But what about riverdancing? That's pretty important to me, too.

that rules. but clearly you havent fly fished. it gets pretty addictive too... or you could perhaps be all or part robot, that would explain as well.. :)
welcome, this place is awesome--sounds like you'll fit in.

Toucan- I'm in Modesto about 2 hours north of you.

Hobgoblin- Sharks are okay, but I'm a long-time Rangers fan. Not easy to be out here, but you can bet your tookis I'm there when the Rangers and the sharks play out here. Never been one to root for the home team. Spent a lot of of time away from home, every chance I got, so makes sense.

Funkyjedi- nope, never been much for fishing, but I'm quite proficient at filleting and cooking anything that comes off a line.

I suppose I should mention I'm somewhat of a retrophile. I've been obsessed with mid-century modern architecture, clothes, music, hair, anything, since I was a kid. Suppose it was only a matter of time before I got my hands on a uke. Funny how everything points to exactly where you should be in life in just about any respect.

lets go Sharks.

Let's Go Pens!!!

(Welcome to UU BTW, that's awesome that you spend time spreading the word. We always have room for more folks like you. Can't wait for you to share your expertise with the masses. Welcome!)

Hobgoblin- Sharks are okay, but I'm a long-time Rangers fan. Not easy to be out here, but you can bet your tookis I'm there when the Rangers and the sharks play out here. Never been one to root for the home team. Spent a lot of of time away from home, every chance I got, so makes sense.

Rangers fan eh? Then that definitely requires a LET'S GO PENS chant! I can't STAND the Rangers but I LOVE the ukulele and for that, we are bonded forever!

GO PENS...AGAIN :D

So...roller derby player? Uke player? I think you need to create a new sport - uke on wheels, something like that! I would be there in a second...

Welcome to UU!

Welcome Tess. :)

My brother lives in Fresno and plays in a ska band that plays during intermission at the roller derby games sometimes. They're called the Surpressors; maybe you've seen them.
We haven't played Fresno, unfortunately, yet. Hopefully next season.

I don't make it down to Fresno often enough anymore myself. Used to hit up a divebar called Club Fred there, but they don't play rockabilly since they changed owners/names I hear.

I liked you from the moment I saw your screen name!

:)

Thanks, DeG. I'm married to an american-born Scot, and I have an ADD manager who had a phase of new nicknames every day. Loch Tess Monster kinda stuck and I use it as my derby name as well. :)

Top Bottom