I found an Ukulele and have started!

HeiEivind

Reaction score
But i need some help... I don't know what kind of ukulele I have, but now it sounds very sour even though I think it's correct tuned(after a video on youtube).. maybe it's me that just can't hear anything. It's very small and it stands "Lanikai Ukulele Hawaii" It has twelve boards. I think Ukulele is very fun, i have played just a bit guitar before, so i'm not a total beginner.. I have tried guitar sometimes and know tabs.. But what can I do to not make it so sour? Is it just a bad ukulele? In the beginning I didnt notice, maybe its the tuning.. (human fail).. I have learnt the intro to My ukulele Gently weeps and it sounds good, but chords just doesn't sound very good... Im currently trying to learn this: http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/tenacious-d/beelzeboss-uke-tab-1010.html but it doesnt sound correct, do i need to aftertune it to this song or what? Wrong type of ukulele?

Thanks, Eivind

My aunt is also travelling to the USA and I might get her to buy a Ukulele for me, to get a better one, or a one that sounds good to all songs you know? So I can play tenacious D:p What kind should that be?

Eivind, it's difficult to know how to help you when we can't hear what your ukulele sounds like. Is there any way you can record a video and share it with us? It would help us to understand your problem.

Lanikai ukuleles are pretty good entry-level ukuleles, so I wonder if yours is just tuned wrong, or if the strings are just dead.

The first thing I would try is a string replacement. Aquila strings are known for making cheap ukuleles sound better. Give it a try.

My aunt is also travelling to the USA and I might get her to buy a Ukulele for me, to get a better one, or a one that sounds good to all songs you know? So I can play tenacious D:p What kind should that be?

How much money can you spend?

I can add a clip to youtube, but it will not come through before tomorrow! Should I just play open strings, i can play the intro to while my gently weeps.. Keep in mind i've just been playing for a day!

Edit: the strings has been laying still for some years I think..

[...] Edit: the strings has been laying still for some years I think..

In that case, a change of strings is definitely worth trying. I agree with Seeso's suggestion of Aquilas. :)

In that case, a change of strings is definitely worth trying. I agree with Seeso's suggestion of Aquilas. :)

I'll add a soundclip to Youtube tomorrow for you to hear what kind of Ukulele I have..:D

Are you using an electronic tuner? I find that even if it is slightly out of tune, it sounds bad to me. It should be tuned GCEA with the G being the string closest to you and the A the string closest to the ground when you play it. You may be tuning to the wrong octave. The C should be middle C on a piano, if you have a keyboard handy. To find middle C on the guitar, it is 2nd string 1st fret.

–Lori

As others have said put some good strings on it (Aquila?) and then learn how to tune it. There are online tuners that you can google. That uke should be fine for you to play. Also if the strings are new, since they are nylon and stretchy, you'll have to check the tuning after every strum. Just kidding.....sort of.

After listening to the video, I suggest new strings. They'll make a huge difference.

Top Bottom