PDA

View Full Version : Put "special" tenor set on my Baritone

iDavid
11-15-2009, 01:11 AM
I put on an Aquila high-g set on my Pono Baritone today.

So far, not so great. The higher pitch is kind of cool, but I am not digging the high-g. It messing with my finger picking big time and when I play minor chords, they are still Happy(ish)

So, I was wondering if there are any low-g sets out there for Baritones.

I was also looking at Worth set with NO wound strings, but I can't tell if it has a low-d in the set. I assume that there are not any high-d baritone sets, but I've made assumptions before and been wrong...

dasvid

kissing
11-15-2009, 05:33 AM
The normal Baritone string set is DGBE, yes?

Then just use the G string from the baritone set :)

RevWill
11-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Give musicguymic a call. If they have 'em he sells 'em. He may have some wisdom and experience with just what you're talking about. And he ships for far less than anyone else.

RonS
11-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Just rearrange the strings from thickest to thinnest so
D is the thickest string followed by
G thicker than B,
B thicker than E.

Ain't no magic :)

This works on any set and on any size uke.

I have Martin Fluorocarbons on a concert rearranged to give me a low g

Ahnko Honu
11-15-2009, 07:23 AM
I bought a single D'addario J4804 for the same reason to turn the baritone set into low g. The J4804 is out of production but I hear the J4704 will work.

kenikas
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I just got a set of Aguilas from MGM for my baritone, he sells a baritone set for high G and a single low G string in addition, and I thing the entire cost with shipping was about $10. I haven't had a chance to put them on and try them out yet, but I'm hoping they will help the pitiful sound of my Hilo!