Home-Made Piezo Pickup

rpeters

Reaction score
So I've heard that its very easy to make a piezo pickup for your ukulele and so my brother and I took about 3 hours to put the thing together (we aren't the best at sautering). Once everything was in put together we attached it to the instrument and plugged it in, and it worked! It took a bit of adjusting to get rid of an annoying buzz, but we fixed that by not placing the pickup directly on the wood. If you put a piece of double stick tape underneath it, it softens it to make a more natural sound.

My final verdict of this home-made product?

Well if you need to be amped in a pinch, it will do the job. However, the sound produced is very tinny, and makes it sound like more of an "electric" ukulele. I compared the sound to a cheap condenser microphone which sounded leagues better.

In the end, I'd rather just mic my ukulele then use a home-made pickup.
Anyone else make one of these? I used a radio shack piezo buzzer.

That's a common method for amping a Cigar Box instrument where bad tone is part of the charm. I haven't tried it yet, and especially wouldn't where I'd want any really good tone quality.

Sounds like a fun weekend project though just to see what happens.

I threw a pickup into my fluke and I'm pretty happy with it. I bought a pre-soldered piezo on ebay for a few bucks more than just the parts, but cheaper than buying a soldering gun. Great upgrade for the price.

edit: I used double sided foam tape to mount it on recommendation, and it works great

I may try an already sautered piezo just to see the difference.

To reduce the tinniness, solder a .01 mfd capacitor across the piezo. This acts as a filter to reduce high end. The larger the cap, the greater the reduction.

4ncztm

Top Bottom