Low G on a Mainland mahogany

wheelgunner

Reaction score
I Have a Mainland mahogany gloss concert that I really like. Only problem has been that the tone seemed a bit "muffled". I think that this is a result of the lower, warmer tone of the mahogany and my high frequency hearing loss (result of a misspent youth). Seems that some of the complexity is lost.

I first tried some Worth CM strings to try to bring out the higher, brighter tones. Limited success, I did bring out the tones I wanted but at the expense of volume and depth of sound.

I finally decided to embrace the lower, warmer tone of the mahogany and put on a set of Aquila low-G strings. I think I have hit on the proper combination for me. The sound is great, warm and full. I'll need to play them for a while longer to be sure but I really think I'm going to like this set up.

I Have a Mainland mahogany gloss concert that I really like. Only problem has been that the tone seemed a bit "muffled". I think that this is a result of the lower, warmer tone of the mahogany and my high frequency hearing loss (result of a misspent youth). Seems that some of the complexity is lost.

I first tried some Worth CM strings to try to bring out the higher, brighter tones. Limited success, I did bring out the tones I wanted but at the expense of volume and depth of sound.

I finally decided to embrace the lower, warmer tone of the mahogany and put on a set of Aquila low-G strings. I think I have hit on the proper combination for me. The sound is great, warm and full. I'll need to play them for a while longer to be sure but I really think I'm going to like this set up.

I know what you mean about the Worth CMs. I tried them on my concert ukulele, and while I liked them at first, after a while I started to feel like they sounded a little thin. Too bad, because I liked the feel/playability of those strings. I have them on my soprano, and I feel like they are a better fit with that uke.

Glad you found a combination you like. I'm still searching for the "perfect" strings for my concert; right now I've got Ko'olau Golds on there, and the tone is quite good, but I'm not too crazy about the feel of the strings. A little stiff. I'm actually thinking of trying Hilos next, because I like them quite a bit on my Flea. Are you finding it easy to adjust to low G? I haven't tried that yet.

Top Bottom