Back To The Mainland

ukecantdothat

Reaction score
A funny thing happened when I got my new Mainland Concert mahogany gloss uke and started tuning it up, stretching the strings, and thinking, "Yeah, this is cool..." when this little riff started appearing and wouldn't go away, so I called it "Back To The Mainland." Then we started this work in progress, and did this chessy little video as a thanks to hoosierhiver for all his help, and all the posters who put up reviews, & demos, etc, for this cool, easy to record uke. And they even come with "built in" tunes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vVl08nIkm0

If you're telling me that buying a Mainland uke would let me play like that, I'll skip work tomorrow, drive non-stop to Indiana, and buy mine NOW! :D

Absolutely beautiful tune, great video.

I seriously think there's a Mainland classic mahogany concert gloss uke in my future....

If you're telling me that buying a Mainland uke would let me play like that, I'll skip work tomorrow, drive non-stop to Indiana, and buy mine NOW! :D

Absolutely beautiful tune, great video.

I seriously think there's a Mainland classic mahogany concert gloss uke in my future....

I cannot guarantee that,

BUT

a Mainland will call your name. It wants you to hold it, to play it, to love it. It beckons you to practice. It feels so good in your hands that you won't want to put it down.

And more practice means better playing.

So perhaps the answer is yes, just not an instant yes.

i NEED one too...im holding out for when more concert mohaganys with pickups come out

I have been looking at a Mainland Tenor on the UU store...however if it makes me play that way too...I am scrapping up all the change in this house to get one. GREAT TUNE...thanks for sharing.:)

I cannot guarantee that,

BUT

a Mainland will call your name. It wants you to hold it, to play it, to love it. It beckons you to practice. It feels so good in your hands that you won't want to put it down.
:agree:

It needs to be played. Yes, that's it, dear... I'm, ummmm... Breaking it in... What's breaking it in? It's like I'm trying to get it to... Open up... What do I mean by open up? ... I don't know but this could take a while... soooooo... If you'll excuse me...

I have been looking at a Mainland Tenor on the UU store...however if it makes me play that way too...I am scrapping up all the change in this house to get one. GREAT TUNE...thanks for sharing.:)
That tune literally played itself, but the tone of the uke suggested it, and seriously, it doesn't sound right to me coming out of any other uke, not that I have a ton of choices. But this is going to my workhorse uke - sounds great inside & out. When it came time to something cheap that I can get a great tone from in the studio, plus drag it around for gigs, that's like double duty, all at that price, so I couldn't really be happier.

Back To The Mainland is good and all that, but it ain't nothin' compared to that song he wrote and plays on his other video where he is playing a 5 gal. water bottle too. Now that is a "bad boy" and very well executed also. You are "THE BOMB".:D

That tune literally played itself, but the tone of the uke suggested it, and seriously, it doesn't sound right to me coming out of any other uke, not that I have a ton of choices. But this is going to my workhorse uke - sounds great inside & out. When it came time to something cheap that I can get a great tone from in the studio, plus drag it around for gigs, that's like double duty, all at that price, so I couldn't really be happier.

Thats exactly what I felt when I got my 1st mainland. I have a honeybee soprano and really want a slotted headstock concert with mi-si.

I had been saving for a K brand tenor until I got my Honeybee. After playing it for a bit, I realized that I may be better off saving the extra money and just buying another Mainland.

I'm not sure how fond I am of the tenor neck (I've only played around on them once in my local shop) so that's why I'm thinkin I may just get a concert. Mike said that he may have some super concerts coming next year (I really LOVED the Kanile'a SC that I played at the shop) but I can't wait that long (and maybe by that time, I will have money saved again to buy a SC).

So I guess what I'm wondering is, should I just go ahead and get the Mainland concert that I want and put the money saved towards my next uke? or should I keep saving for the K brand? I realize that K brands are awesome but I am only a mediocre player and I LOVE my Mainland. Opinions?

Your collection is not complete until you have a Mainland red cedar Tenor. They're just that good.

That is all.

Your collection is not complete until you have a Mainland red cedar Tenor. They're just that good.

That is all.

Are the Red Ceders THAT much better sounding than the Mahog? I plan on getting either a slotted head concert or a tenor soon but I havent decided on wood yet. Thoughts?

I like the red cedar. No, I LOVE the red cedar. I don't know that it's better by any objective standard, but it is punchier and brighter - and I like punchy and bright.

Awesome song. I think a hear a Mainland calling my name.:)

Awesome song. I think a hear a Mainland calling my name.:)
Yeah, I think I hear it, too. Sounds like "Cedar... cedar..." and "Tenor... tenor... Low G... Low G..." Then another voice comes in, "The list.. add it to the list..."

Top Bottom