PDA

View Full Version : 5 finger roll question

ArchDukeofUke
11-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I was trying the 5 finger roll from Uke Minutes http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/05/17/uke-minute-15-5-finger-roll/ and it seems as though the sound that I get sounds very "naily." When I do this strum, the tops of my nails seem to make a very distinct sound, almost equivalent to playing with a pick, rather than a smoother sound. Do you get the same sound? How can I prevent this?

UkeNinja
11-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Chances are you need to practice more and more for an even distribution of force over each of your fingers as they pass the strings, and a more subtle touch. This is pure guessing of course, but the same goes for triple strums or actually even for regular up-down strums, power to he (or she) who can strum as evenly as possible. Muscle memory and practice may be your ticket to ride. Slowing down, speeding up, trying to do it backward, it will take some time to make such an advanced technique yours.

*back to chunk-up-down-chunk-spam*

Harold O.
11-16-2009, 06:18 AM
I tend to strum with my index finger (natch).

Lately I've been doing it with my middle finger. The result is a slightly brighter sound. Go figure. A couple of months ago, I couldn't keep a decent rhythm with my middle finger. Just playing around, but there it is.

Rolls are taking longer to get. UkeNinja has it right - practice and patience.

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Patience. How long will that take?"

CoLmes
11-16-2009, 10:25 AM
What Ninja said, practice.

Its a weird technique, for me the best sound I can produce is when I barely hit the strings. Less is def. more.

Also the sound changes as you move the strum up and down the strings so mess around with that too.

And learn to pinky mute if you don't already.

grappler
11-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Pretty awesome technique to learn i must admit.
I rather the same technique without using the pinky. i find that using the pinky uses too much effort and doesnt allow enough space for faster rolls.
Might be me.
Learn the muted pinky with your left hand. i think this is one of the most important techniques for a good strum or what not.

ukeninam
11-16-2009, 05:50 PM
goodluck with that one....its definitely practice, patience, determination, and discipline..i believe I've been trying that one for hmm about a year now lol....i need to seriously lock myself in a room with a uke to TRY practicing that one!! urghh..i'm sure if you set aside the time to practice that one you'll get it!! don't give up--*like me*--when your days are so scheduled!!!!:o:(