Newest build...

That's really lovely. The family resemblence to Ken Middleton's is strong, but interestingly, it sounds quite different. Is there a real difference in their "voices", or is that a result of the recording conditions?

John Colter.

Hello John Colter...... I wondered who ukantor was writing here. Good for you ! I see Timbuck is here and Dave from Clintonville. By starting to read here, I discovered good Luthier exposure/presence : Chuck Moore , Koaloha Paul, and Pete Howlett being the pros, and maybe more who I do not know yet. Ed's Tenoruke looks very nice with the slotted headstock. Heiko Bron

Ah! Heiko unmasked! It's good to "see" you.

I'm really interested in the matter of the difference in sound of Pete's two recent mastergrade Koa tenors. On the face of it, you would expect them to sound very similar (but with individual character). To my ears they are very different, and I wondered if Pete had built them differently, to fulfill particular customer preferences.

John Colter (I don't need no steenkin' pseudonym!)

Is there a real difference in their "voices", or is that a result of the recording conditions?

The recording conditions and equipment are definitely going to make a difference. Ken mentioned in one of his reviews that he always adds a little reverb to his recordings, so that could be one thing. Then you have different camcorders, different mics... and you're sitting in different rooms.

But that's all guesswork on my part, sorry. Pete's the only one who really knows what the two sisters sound like.

Beautiful as usual Pete! I aspire to make ukes as good as yours and Chuck Moore's!

I'm afraid I'm pretty useless when it comes to evaluating the sound of my instruments so I can't help you. It is such a subjective subject. I aim to satisfy the customer by building what I hope is a quality product.

So here are some problematic points:
  • Ken's and Ed's woods are from different trees and islands.
  • Ken's body is 30g lighter than Ed's.
  • Ken's neck wood is Cedar, Ed's is African mahogany.
  • Ken's fingerboard is African blackwood, Ed's is ebony.
In the end, there are just too many variables to make any meanignful comparison. However I hope they are the best I can do and will give lasting pleasure to both Ed and Ken.

Last edited:
Ah! That explains it. The two ukes look similar, but are in fact quite different in several significant details. I suspect the Koa wood being from separate sources is one of the most telling differences.

Two marvellous ukes with distinctive voices.

John Colter.

Top Bottom