I need some help with video editing, please.

beeejums

Reaction score
Here's the story:

So I filmed a new video, and thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be fun if I could do some fancy video stuff like the other people on YouTube?" So since I don't have iMovie or Windows Movie Maker at my disposal, I googled "Free Video Editing for Mac" and found HyperEngine AV (which looks like awesome software).

http://hyperengine.sourceforge.net/

That's the same version I downloaded... 1.6.1.

I spent most of the weekend editing my video, and on Sunday evening, hit the export button and was hit with an error. So I restarted the software. Still got the error. Restarted the computer. Still got an error. Googled it. Found a workaround. The workaround failed and the software crashed. Restarted the computer. Crashed the software. And so on.

There's almost nothing on this software on the internet except sites that describe it and offer a download link. Half of them say you have to pay to get the full-featured program (usually they refer to older versions), but then other websites say that the original developers don't plan on working on it anymore and now the project is completely open source and completely free. The export problem is mentioned on a couple other sites, but aside from the one workaround, I've found nothing.

Does anybody know this software?

Can anybody tell me of some other free Mac video editing software so I can redo the project and actually be able to export it?

Thanks in advance, and sorry I'm so longwinded.

There are better editing programs out there, like Sony Vegas. Sure it's harder to learn, but you can do so many things with it. I'll PM you something.

I'm not familiar with the app, but I ran into a similar problem. For my Soul Man video, I made a mistake and couldn't export it, but I could play it in the app. My solution was to use an app called Snaps Pro. It captures video from your computer screen.

I did all the sound in GarageBand, so I synced up that audio track with the captured video and all was well.

I'm not familiar with the app, but I ran into a similar problem. For my Soul Man video, I made a mistake and couldn't export it, but I could play it in the app. My solution was to use an app called Snaps Pro. It captures video from your computer screen.

I did all the sound in GarageBand, so I synced up that audio track with the captured video and all was well.

Snapz Pro Website.

Awesome. I've been looking for something like this. Thanks!

Can anybody tell me of some other free Mac video editing software so I can redo the project and actually be able to export it?
If you have a Mac, where's your iMovie? It should have come with some version of iMovie, unless it is a truly ancient machine (in a grey box), which would make video a difficult challenge. If it is just missing, you should be able to get it from another Mac user.

–Lori

Is that the way you have to do it? record all the audio tracks in a separate audio editor, vuideo yourself doing them and then replace the video audio and sinc it up? is that the only way? can't i use the audio i record with the video and merge it in vegas or somehing?

ive been pulling my hair out over this one.

If you have a Mac, where's your iMovie? It should have come with some version of iMovie, unless it is a truly ancient machine (in a grey box), which would make video a difficult challenge. If it is just missing, you should be able to get it from another Mac user.

–Lori

The machine's about six years old, so it came with a version of iMovie, but the disks it came with are long gone and I upgraded to Tiger (which doesn't come with iMovie). So I'd have to buy it, but I'm getting a new computer sometime in the next year, so it wouldn't be worth it.

That's a good idea, but my machine is awfully slow and it would be choppy...

Is that the way you have to do it? record all the audio tracks in a separate audio editor, vuideo yourself doing them and then replace the video audio and sinc it up? is that the only way? can't i use the audio i record with the video and merge it in vegas or somehing?

ive been pulling my hair out over this one.

That is certainly not the only way. I think it's the best way, though.

I don't have Vegas, so I can't tell you if that's do-able.

Top Bottom