Mainland: Mahogany and Red Cedar?

Red cedar is brighter and punchier, mahogany is slightly more mellow. Some players consider the red cedar to be too bright and punchy. I like it.

I prefer the cedar/rosewood combo. Sounds really nice. Loud, bright, and punchy.

I love my Mango for what it's worth. Great volume and tone. Looks great. Not as red as pics on the internet show. I was nervous about that. Looks great and sounds great.

Mike at Mainland sent me a Mohag. concert open headstock and a Boat shape last week(love em). The Mohag. is a very full sounding uke. Pretty loud and very mellow. Almost sounds like a classical music piece to me. You shouldn't be disappointed. I will say the first day I was a little disappointed in how quiet it was but it seems to be a lot louder now which is a good thing.

Mike at Mainland sent me a Mohag. concert open headstock and a Boat shape last week(love em). The Mohag. is a very full sounding uke. Pretty loud and very mellow. Almost sounds like a classical music piece to me. You shouldn't be disappointed. I will say the first day I was a little disappointed in how quiet it was but it seems to be a lot louder now which is a good thing.

dig the Mango and Hog!

A lot of serious ukers boycott the cedar ukes because cedar is usually used as a favored wood for guitars. I personally dont care as long as the sound is beautiful, but even then I tend to lean toward the mahogany side. I like the look better and the sound.

A lot of serious ukers boycott the cedar ukes because cedar is usually used as a favored wood for guitars....

RU Serious? Unbelievable.

I personally dont care as long as the sound is beautiful, but even then I tend to lean toward the mahogany side. I like the look better and the sound.

I enjoy the various sounds different woods (or plastic!:)) offer in instruments. There's no perfect sounding uke to me.

Cedar tops just get sweeter with age. I love the look of them. I love the Ohana CK-50G with the rosewood back and side and cedar top. I love the look of the Mainland Cedar-topped concert, too.

Top Bottom