Which bit for flush trimming?

sweets

Reaction score
I don't have a laminate trimmer yet, but I'm hoping that I might get one for Christmas and have started looking at bits. For trimming backs/sides, what do the pros use? Something like this?

Yeh!! thats what i use.. mounted on a "Router Table"..Dont leave a lot to trim off tho'...if you do ?? you'll find out why.:eek:..I'm not a Pro tho' (just a hobbiest) but I have made about 50 ukes.

Last edited:
It's too tall. For trimming you need one with 1/2" cutting length about 3/8" diameter. it will stop it grabbing and ripping off pieces as you trim. The longer one is ideal for table mounting.

Thanks Pete and Ken! Ken, one of your "seconds" is on the way to me in Seattle I believe. Looking forward to setting it up.

I don't have a laminate trimmer yet, but I'm hoping that I might get one for Christmas and have started looking at bits. For trimming backs/sides, what do the pros use? Something like this?

Don't buy any bits until you see what comes with your laminate trimmer. Yes, it should come with a bit or two.

Remember to do a climb cut when going against the grain around the curves. (Routing certain areas backwards, in the direction that the router is spinning.) This will greatly reduce the risk of blowout.

I've never used Freud router bits, but I used to use their forstner bits and table saw blades exclusively. If the quality of their bits is comparable to the other tools that I've used, they should produce quality results.

I also like CMT, but they're kind of pricey. Not worth it for our production work, but I do use them for my custom work. Whiteside is another brand you may like. For price/performance, they're one of the best bits I've used.

I stay away from the low end router bits. Carbide comes in different grades and the reason they're cheaper, is because they're usually using the lowest grade. They dull quickly, especially when routing harder woods.

As with all tools you should buy the very best you can afford. Sweets link is the right cutter - because it isn't fat you can in most cases get away without climb cuts. I have Freud cutters and our UK brand - Titman (most unfortunate name...). Freud are very good, long lasting and high quality. Also, get a laminate trimmer with a moveable base that angles up to 45 degrees. Makita do one. You will need this facility if you, like most of us, put a 12' radius and taper into the back...

Top Bottom