Getting Excited Here

Toucan Mango

Reaction score
Getting Excited Here (updated with pics)

We are leaving for Hawaii This Wednesday (Big island & Oahu), Although the islands are always exciting to visit my biggest thrill is this will be the first time going with an interest in ukuleles. I plan on coming home with a Hawaiian made soprano ukulele, not sure which one yet, I will just have to try some out then decide. :shaka:

Last edited:
Right on! I'm jealous.

Room in the luggage for a big ole Uke playing Dork? LOL

Have a great trip. I just returned from the islands 7 days Moloka'i and 5 O'ahu. Best place in the world to drool :drool: over ukes. Be sure to go to some of the uke factories.

While on Oahu, try to tour some of the ukulele factories. I've done the Kanile'a tour and it was terrific. (I can't wait to do the Kamaka one in three weeks!).

I'd also recommend going to Puapua - a great ukulele shop while you are in Oahu. It is in the Pacific Beach hotel in Waikiki. The prices are a little high (so you may not want to buy one there) but they have a terrific selection so you can see which Hawaiian manufacturer suits you best. The last time I was there they had TONS of Kamaka, Kanile'a, and KoAloha ukes. I think they also had some Ko'olaus.

And on the Big Island, Hilo Guitars in Hilo has had some Moore Bettah ukes - so you can sample a custom one as well.

Have a great time, and safe and happy trip. Happy ukulele shopping! :)

After you pick up that Uke try to go strum a few bars of "Waikiki" in front of the Royal Hawaiian!!!!
(when I grow up I want to be like Duke and the Boys!!!!)

Wow you are so lucky. I dont think I can pay the plane ticket even :p But hey, this site gives me a cool hawaiian and ukelekeliing feeling :D

See this post for music stores in the 808. Have a good time!

Thanks everyone. Definitely doing the Kamaka factory tour. My family & I are doing the group thing with my sister & her family, so I will have to pick a time & music store to shop after we get settled in, should be fun though. :)

Wow....I see you are from Clovis also....we've got to hook up when you get back and play our sopranos.

Not to diss on Kamaka, but I've heard the KoAloha factory tour is the best, and have heard great things about Kanile'a, too! (Next time I go - whenever that is - I hope we can spend at least a day or two on Oahu so I can go tour Kanile'a!)

Have a GREAT time! I'm jealous!

Thanks everyone. Definitely doing the Kamaka factory tour. My family & I are doing the group thing with my sister & her family, so I will have to pick a time & music store to shop after we get settled in, should be fun though. :)

First things first!!!!:drool: The uke tours should be number one!!! Imagine, you buy your new uke at the begginning of the trip, then you can live the experience the rest of your visit by playing your new uke on the beach in Hawaii!!!:) I was in Maui and Honolulu in September, bought my uke in Maui and had a blast playing on the beach, the lanai and even had some jam sessions with people I just met. Enjoy Hawaii it is paradise on Earth!!!
Aloha!!!

Wow....I see you are from Clovis also....we've got to hook up when you get back and play our sopranos.
Cool, I did not think there were any other members in the Clovis area. I must warn you though I picked up my first uke a little over a year ago to hang on the ceiling of my bar & got hooked on playing, I have been taking the "it's no race learning" approach though.

First things first!!!!:drool: The uke tours should be number one!!! Imagine, you buy your new uke at the begginning of the trip, then you can live the experience the rest of your visit by playing your new uke on the beach in Hawaii!!!:) I was in Maui and Honolulu in September, bought my uke in Maui and had a blast playing on the beach, the lanai and even had some jam sessions with people I just met. Enjoy Hawaii it is paradise on Earth!!!
Aloha!!!
I had that same thought on the beach but soon as I opened my mouth people started to leave :eek: I cant sing good at all! but I have been working on the picking version of white sandy beach, I also know a strumming version of that song as well as Lovely Hula Hands & Over The Rainbow/ Wonderful World.
:cool:

Take your new 'ukulele into the lobby of the Moana or the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and play a few songs and get swept back in time 80 years. ;)
13_moana.jpg

sheraton-royal-hawaiian-hotel-honolulu-hawaii-hi.jpg

:stop:
Wait... What's going on here? All this talk about uke factories, and playing your new uke in the sand, jamming with locals, these pictures of paradise... I can't take it!!! I can't be taking off for the islands right now... :drool:

Have a great time!:cool:

Top Bottom