Sorry, another string question

backdoc972

Reaction score
Guys, I have searched and can't find a good answer to help me pick what kind of strings to put on my pono tenor.

It came with a wound G with low G tuning. The A string broke the second day while sitting in the case. I also had trouble barring chords in the first fret (discussed in another thread) So, I am trying to figure out what to replace them with. What are the advantges of low G versus high G? Wound G versus all nylon/gut/flouro?

If this thread is cluttering things up then mods go ahead and delete it, but I just wondered how to best decide on this.

Thanks!

there is no technical advantage b/t low and high g, its up to your preference. i dont know much about what kind of strings to get tho

-----

There's a really good reason for having two Ukes...one with Low-G and one with high-g. Songs like Iz's 'Over the Rainbow' and 'White Sandy Beach' sound a lot better with a low-G. There's a little fingerpicking going on in those songs, and the high-g just doesn't quite satisfy. You really have to hear it to know the difference.

Just for one tiny example, in 'Over the Rainbow' there's a place where Iz slides his finger from the 2nd Fret to the 3rd on the 4th (low-G) string and then strums down on the other strings. If you try that with the high-g ....blaaaaaaa....nothingness. There's a big difference.

I find that the nylon Low-G string is too loose on the neck, and your finger tends to shove the string right off the neck. But the metal Low-G is tighter. The negative for the metal string is that sometimes your finger sliding across it is noisy, whereas with a nylon string it's not. Actually, the metal Low-G is not too bad on my Concert uke but on my Tenor it's pretty noisy. But it's probably something you can get used to.

I have a Low-G on my Concert and a high-g on my Soprano, which I think is the best of both worlds, because they both keep the sound ukey. But the Low-G gives just a little more depth, or should I say substance, on the songs where you need it. (I carry the Ukes in a Tenor double-case called Uke Crazy from Kala. I can't find a double-Concert size case.)

I haven't tried "all" the nylon strings by far, so there may be some, or even ONE that's got a "tight" Low-G string. If so, I'd like to know! I'd string my Tenor with it and maybe even my Concert.

No need to apologize for your string question. Things can get REALLY technical and we need lots of string threads to sort things out.

-----

Last edited:
Perhaps you can profit from reading this article, in addition to the other info. The way chords are built up on the fretboard, and practical issues like trying to fingerpick quite a few easy songs that go below the standard C, can all be grounds to choose for either tuning. Like uumember says: get two ukes and free yourself from the headaches ;)

I do have two ukes and the problem is the more time I spend with my new Pono tenor, the more I am disliking it.

I am trying to figure out what to do with it. I just got it Thursday and like I say I am just disliking it a great deal. I can't figure out if it's me, or just the difference with a tenor, the strings or the uke itself.

Intonation is good on the g and a strings it is awful on the c and e. I can't play any barre chords without supreme effort, and I have been playing them for 30 years on guitar and have no problem with my concert.

I am just beside myself at the moment. I have to put it down to keep from wanting to throw it through the wall, but I keep picking it back up and trying it because I can't believe I am having this much trouble.

I dunno, I guess I'll call Michael tomorrow and see what he suggests, but I am frustrated to say the least. I loved the thing at first, but as soon as I started trying to play certain chords it went downhill fast.

what chords are you trying to play???

all barred chords are miserable, but mostly those on the first fret such as C#7. Also chords such as E major are extremely difficult on this uke. I don't know if it is the string spacing or what. This is my first tenor and the string spacing is wider than any instrument I play. I have played acoustic and electric guitar for many years and have no problem. I also have no problem with that chord or others on my concert.

The intonation is also way off and this was a specific request to MGM. He talked me into this uke over a cheaper one because he said I would be unhappy with the intonation on the cheaper ones. I left positive feedback for him because he was really very good to deal with, and I am going to call him today and see what he suggests, so I don't want anyone to feel I am unhappy with him, I haven't spoken to him yet about this problem. The fretting thing may just be me and tenors won't get along, but I don't know. I'm going to get a clamp on tuner today and see if that also shows the intonation to be off like my Korg CA-30 does.

I'll also try to get a new set of strings while I'm there, but I don't have much hope that Guitar Center or Samash will have any.

I just tried C#7 on my Soprano and Concert ukes and it was easy to play. I got out my Tenor and it was definitely more difficult. I have actually settled in on my Concert and Soprano as my favorites ukes and don't play my Tenor much any more. (In fact, I hadn't played my Tenor in about 6 weeks and was surprised at how low pitch it sounded.)

musicguymic will do right by you, and not just to keep you happy. He wants to be happy too, I'm sure, and wouldn't be if you're this disappointed. He'll make it right, this'll just take some time. He's got 100% feedback for good reason. Good luck!

I think the Worths are going to really help out. I personally like the unwound Low G, but I keep my concert flea in proper tuning. ;)

I mean yeah, it takes some strength at the first fret still, but a bit less than guitar....which I can't do bar chords on at all.

Top Bottom