Odd Buzzing Problem

Citrus

Reaction score
Just realized this is the wrong section, could someone please move it to tech support?

I just restrung my ukulele and have been playing it for a good part of the day, and I noticed that I'm buzzing on the 8th and 9th fret on my A-string, nothing else on any of the other strings or frets... I am confused. suggestions? comments?

ED: bleh just decided to use a different string, no buzzing but it's from a different brand of string and I feel funny. Can probably delete this

ED2: dont delete this new problem, the buzzing just move up to a higher fret, what the heck is going on?

ED3: I took off my shirt and it's fine now, lolwut? SRSLY I think one of the buttons on my rolled up sleeve was hitting something wrong

ED4: dangit its back, since it doesn't buzz when I play soft I think its that the frets are worn out

if this is a worn out fret, how much does that normally take to repair, cause honestly it might be easier to just replace the uke as I've been looking to trade-up anyways

Odd development: When I tune the string in question down to a different pitch there isn't an issue, don't know if that means anything

Last edited:
Before you go ripping frets out of your fingerboard, get the problem down. Get a business card and start sliding it under the strings in front of your fretted strings. Fret and slide to measure clearance and resistance to the card over the next fret up, fret and slide, fret and slide. In this way you will get a good picture in your head of what is really happening on the fretboard. Decribe the buzz as best you can. Metallic? wooden? plasticky? electric current like sound? Tinkly? Growling? The tonal nature of the buzz can point you to different areas of the uke to start checking.

Rather simpler, as your problem is well up the neck.

1. Get a straight edge (metal ruler ideal, but a good plastic or wooden one might be adequate). Lay it edge down across the problem frets (in between the strings).

2. If you can see a gap under the ruler's edge, that fret is low. If the buzz is only there when you fret at that fret, your problem is diagnosed. Fixing this one yourself is possible (new fret(s)) but not that easy.

3. If the ruler rocks back and forth, the fret against which it rocks is higher than the others. Fretting one fret below this one should produce the buzz. You can try to tap the fret lower (gentle!) or sand it down carefully with wet and dry abrasive paper (hint, mask off the fretboard either side, else you'll sand that as well). Go slow and check regularly with the ruler.

4. If all frets are equal, you have one of two problems:

4.1 A defective string - strings can vary in thickness, and if the variation coincides with a particular fret, this can cause a buzz.

4.2 Your action is very low, so that playing just a fraction harder causes the string to hit another fret or the fretboard. If your new strings are softer/slacker then the old ones, this might explain your problem.

thanks for the advice everybody, I was freaking out for a second. Oddly enough I just let my uke hangout over night and it stopped. maybe a ghost? spooks in my ukes?

Probably the string stretching and settling in... If it comes back change the string again...

Top Bottom