PDA

View Full Version : Rules?

itsme
11-16-2009, 05:12 PM
I know things are pretty loose around here and that the main rule is don't be a jerk. :)

But I'd like to see a bit of restriction when it comes to signatures. I know I can turn them off, but would rather not. I'd just like to see them be reasonable. Some go on forever (just saw someone post 3 replies to a thread with their 17-line sig in each post) or that have really huge graphics.

Oh, and since I'm obviously dreaming, can we have a rule against swearing, at least in thread titles? My daddy always said if you couldn't express yourself without using cuss words, that your vocabulary was lacking. :o

freedive135
11-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I would tend to agree that your signature shouldn't have a larger font or be longer that your post.

It is nice to have some of the links that some folks have but some are just to...

Melissa82
11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I have sigs disabled because a lot of them are just WAY too big. I'd like to see them but not if it's going to take up the whole screen. So yeah, I agree with the OP.

jforrest
11-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Hey ITSME, my Dad always said that, too! I've never heard it anywhere else.

Small world.

SuperSecretBETA
11-17-2009, 01:01 AM
We do have sig rules, but they're not enforced.

ukantor
11-17-2009, 01:49 AM
On the subject of cussing (swearing, use of foul language, etc.) When the subject came up with my (then) young son, I told him:-

"Swearing is something most of us do. Certainly, your mother and I swear. Swearing can help you give vent to your feelings, and can be very expressive, used in the right way. It is up to you to learn when, and where, it is acceptable to swear. If you ever offend anyone by your use of 'colourful' language, then you have got it wrong".

Quite obviously, swearing on a public forum will offend someone. It is wrong.

John Colter.

Doctroid
11-17-2009, 04:37 AM
If cussing in thread titles isn't being a jerk, I don't know what is. Nor want to.

leftovermagic84
11-17-2009, 05:31 AM
My dad always told me to shutup and eat my cereal, but I still appreciate that these forums are by and large SFW language. The swearing doesn't offend me in the slightest, but it really can chase off a lot of people I'd rather see around. We're pretty good at self-policing that one...

...but as far as sigs go, I'd personally like to see an option to disable images while keeping the text. Some people put really useful stuff in their sigs, and I like that, but I'd rather not see a banner-sized picture at the end of every other post

Thumper
11-17-2009, 05:36 AM
...but as far as sigs go, I'd personally like to see an option to disable images while keeping the text. Some people put really useful stuff in their sigs, and I like that, but I'd rather not see a banner-sized picture at the end of every other post

:agree:

That would be an excellent change. I've never seen a forum so full of bumper-sticker-sized sig graphics, which always seem silly to me when the sig graphic is larger than the post itself.

pithaya9
11-17-2009, 06:42 AM
On the subject of cussing (swearing, use of foul language, etc.) When the subject came up with my (then) young son, I told him:-

"Swearing is something most of us do. Certainly, your mother and I swear. Swearing can help you give vent to your feelings, and can be very expressive, used in the right way. It is up to you to learn when, and where, it is acceptable to swear. If you ever offend anyone by your use of 'colourful' language, then you have got it wrong".

Quite obviously, swearing on a public forum will offend someone. It is wrong.

John Colter.

I couldn't agree with you more.

It's a good thing we don't have rep points anymore or we would all be in the red! LOL

Jack

cocohonk
11-17-2009, 08:12 AM
For me, I think having censorship (self or otherwise) on this forum is problematic, you know, the whole freedom of speech and everything. Also, that everyone would have a different standard of what's a bad word or not.

And cussing doesn't seem to be a problem anyway here (for me, at least, but I haven't been around for a week or so :D), so why make it one? Personally I have never been offended by anyone here because of some curse words. Jerks are way more offensive than some bad word (which ARE expressive and good sometimes :D). So, yeah.

As for the signatures, don't care either way - since there is the choice of turning it off.

Melissa82
11-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Is it just me or do all of these threads end up turning into the same discussion about sigs, censorship and post count, lol? Just sayin'...

seeso
11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I know things are pretty loose around here and that the main rule is don't be a jerk. :)

But I'd like to see a bit of restriction when it comes to signatures. I know I can turn them off, but would rather not. I'd just like to see them be reasonable. Some go on forever (just saw someone post 3 replies to a thread with their 17-line sig in each post) or that have really huge graphics.

Oh, and since I'm obviously dreaming, can we have a rule against swearing, at least in thread titles? My daddy always said if you couldn't express yourself without using cuss words, that your vocabulary was lacking. :o

It's not that I don't see where you're coming from. I'm not a big fan of sigs. That's why I turned them off long ago. That's my advice to you, itsme. Just turn them off (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions), and all is well. If you think a sig is way over the limit, just drop a mod a PM and we'll look into it. :)

As far as swearing goes, currently there is no rule against it. We haven't had a problem with swearing, so I don't know where this complaint is coming from. I wouldn't mind there being a filter, but I kind of like it that we leave it up to everyone to practice good manners.

I agree that it should not be allowed in thread titles. I don't have any problem with editing thread titles if they contain swears. There was an instance not too long ago where someone used the f-word in a thread title, I'm glad I caught it early and edited it. There were a few posters in that thread that let the offender know how they felt about such words, and that's cool, but I'd prefer it if they'd just dropped a mod a PM instead.

The mods rely on you guys a lot. We need you to exercise common sense in both sig sizes and swearing, and to let us know if something is offensive. Don't be afraid to hit that Alert button and let the mods know what you're thinking.

We do have sig rules, but they're not enforced.

We actually don't have any sig rules, but if we did, I'd think yours would break them. Do you really need two of the same graphic?

Bluke
11-17-2009, 09:18 AM
So many people that participate on forums like this are very full of themselves, hence the annoying signatures. If there was no option to disable sigs, then I would never be able to visit here again. It's a sad situation that so many people in the world today think that being annoying is cool.

Susie A
11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
So many people that participate on forums like this are very full of themselves, hence the annoying signatures. If there was no option to disable sigs, then I would never be able to visit here again. It's a sad situation that so many people in the world today think that being annoying is cool.

What is annoying to you is not necessarily what is annoying to everyone. Again, hit that disable button and avoid the annoyance.

Bluke
11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
What is annoying to you is not necessarily what is annoying to everyone. Again, hit that disable button and avoid the annoyance.

Susie, that goes without saying. What's annoying to you may not be annoying to me. Who cares what 'everyone' thinks? Comparing is a waste of time. Each person has their tolerance. However, if you look around the world, in cities, and on the internet, there clearly are masses of people who are being annoying simply for the sake of annoying others.

The disable button is always on for me.

ukantor
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks you guys - I just found the "Disable signatures" button. That's MUCH better!

John Colter.

Thumper
11-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks you guys - I just found the "Disable signatures" button. That's MUCH better!

John Colter.

Me too, and I'm loving the clean new look it gives the forum! :D

itsme
11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm not a big fan of sigs. That's why I turned them off long ago. That's my advice to you, itsme. Just turn them off (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions), and all is well.
Yes, I know I could just turn them off, but I'm with the person quoted below.

I appreciate many of the sigs, and enjoy the opportunity to have a link to their youtube or blog or whatever. It's just the size of some of the graphic sigs gets old. Perhaps they could be limited to no more than certain pixel dimensions/kb's like avatars are.

SuperSecretBETA
11-17-2009, 03:29 PM
We actually don't have any sig rules, but if we did, I'd think yours would break them. Do you really need two of the same graphic?

I don't see 2 of the same graphic... not sure what you mean, but it I'll look into it anyway. Thanks

Kanaka916
11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
There is a size limit to sig graphics (maximum size is 500 by 100 pixels or 9.8 KB, whichever is smaller) and will not be accepted if it exceeds the max. Some of the sigs are cool and some are annoying however if it falls within the guidelines, there's really not much we can do.

Swearing, I don't think we've had a serious problem with this. As Seeso stated, notify the mods via PM or use the "report post" icon (http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/images/buttons/report.gif). I don't have any problems editing/deleting posts containing offensive remarks.

The mods rely on you guys a lot. We need you to exercise common sense in both sig sizes and swearing, and to let us know if something is offensive. Don't be afraid to hit that Alert button and let the mods know what you're thinking.

itsme
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM
There is a size limit to sig graphics (maximum size is 500 by 100 pixels or 9.8 KB, whichever is smaller) and will not be accepted if it exceeds the max.
Then whatever restrictions you have in place are not working. I've seen quite a number of sig graphics that are over 150K, as well as animated gif ones. By disallowing image uploads for sigs, people are apparently free to link to images hosted elsewhere which exceed the criteria you stated.

leftovermagic84
11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
By disallowing image uploads for sigs, people are apparently free to link to images hosted elsewhere which exceed the criteria you stated.

Bingo. Firefox + an Adblock filter could fix the issue of images in sigs without taking away any of the text, but when the images are from anywhere on the net it becomes too much of a hassle to make a new script just for this site for each individual place an image is hosted.

UkuleleHill
11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
There is a size limit to sig graphics (maximum size is 500 by 100 pixels or 9.8 KB, whichever is smaller) and will not be accepted if it exceeds the max. Some of the sigs are cool and some are annoying however if it falls within the guidelines, there's really not much we can do.

Swearing, I don't think we've had a serious problem with this. As Seeso stated, notify the mods via PM or use the "report post" icon (http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/images/buttons/report.gif). I don't have any problems editing/deleting posts containing offensive remarks.

Give me at least some time to edit all the sigs I have don to make them fit in the guidelines...

RevWill
11-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Wow. That rant was wholly unnecessary.

seeso
11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't see 2 of the same graphic... not sure what you mean, but it I'll look into it anyway. Thanks

Huh. Weird. It's gone. My apologies, sir. :o

wickedwahine11
11-17-2009, 04:55 PM

Jeez, I had no idea it was that big a deal. I figured if people wanted to disable signatures, they could, and if they didn't, then they didn't have a big issue with it. I really like some of them - Ronnie Aloha's in particular was always nice to look at.

Anyway, I have thus shrunk the photos from mine...

ukeshale
11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Site Suggestion:

I don't like to contribute to UU 'drama' and I know that all of our Mods work hard - but maybe signature rules should have been made a lot clearer before somebody was allowed to go ahead and make multiple designs for a lot of members. He spent a lot of his free time on them and is now having to spend even more of his free time slightly resizing them. He wasn't gaining anything out of making sigs for people but seems to be the only one who's now suffering because of this.

Just a suggestion to add to the pile.

salukulady
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
So many people that participate on forums like this are very full of themselves, hence the annoying signatures. If there was no option to disable sigs, then I would never be able to visit here again. It's a sad situation that so many people in the world today think that being annoying is cool.Well Bluke, the guy who created many of those "annoying signatures" for all of us "people that are full of ourselves" just spent the better part of his day making our sigs smaller for the sake of people like you that
"wouldn't be able to visit here" due to us that "think being annoying is cool". Oh wait, you've got your disabled, so you'll never know the difference.
Touche'

JT_Ukes
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Fun times..

Now about Avatars... anyone wanna complain about avatars??? and names with numbers, whats up with that?

Oh and colored text! how distracting!

sheesh.

salukulady
11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Fun times..

Now about Avatars... anyone wanna complain about avatars??? and names with numbers, whats up with that?

Oh and colored text! how distracting!

sheesh.Love your sig, JT.

JT_Ukes
11-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Love your sig, JT.

500 x 100 px
.9 kb

Melissa82
11-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I think that comment about the "annoying" sigs should be taken with a grain of salt. That's one voice out of... oh how many forum members? A lot.

Bluke
11-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Well Bluke, the guy who created many of those "annoying signatures" for all of us "people that are full of ourselves" just spent the better part of his day making our sigs smaller for the sake of people like you that
"wouldn't be able to visit here" due to us that "think being annoying is cool". Oh wait, you've got your disabled, so you'll never know the difference.
Touche'

What are you talking about? I never said anything about you. And, I wasn't aware that one person created so many signatures for others here. Must be nice guy, though, to do that. What, someone did something for me? I don't think so. but I appreciate the sentiment. If you didn't feel like generic comments about the internet as a whole were about you personally, you wouldn't feel compelled to 'touche' anyone. It's not a contest or a battle! Relax a little.

leftovermagic84
11-17-2009, 06:20 PM
:troll:...

pithaya9
11-17-2009, 06:23 PM
What happened to all the Aloha that UU was about?

JT_Ukes
11-17-2009, 06:27 PM

OK.. when you make blanket statements like "So many people that participate on forums like this are very full of themselves, hence the annoying signatures. " you HAVE to expect to step on toes.

We don't know what you classify as annoying, So, yeah, some people will take it personally. I have not seen ANY over sized annoying signatures on UU. Not like I've seen on other forums. And yes you do have the option to turn em off, if that to work for you, why complain?

As for relaxing a little, that is great advise for lots of people lately.

Why is everyone trying to Fix what was never broken?

JT

ritzer012
11-17-2009, 06:29 PM
What happened to all the Aloha that UU was about?

for real...more and more of these threads are popping up and theyre really annoying...some people take suggestions way too personally...why so defensive?

pithaya9
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
As for relaxing a little, that is great advise for lots of people lately.

JT
:agree:

for real...more and more of these threads are popping up and theyre really annoying...some people take suggestions way too personally...why so defensive?

exactly, we need more Aloha

Kanaka916
11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Then whatever restrictions you have in place are not working. I've seen quite a number of sig graphics that are over 150K, as well as animated gif ones. By disallowing image uploads for sigs, people are apparently free to link to images hosted elsewhere which exceed the criteria you stated.
I agree there are graphics in excess of the of parameters given. I don't know why those were accepted. I'll have to get with admin on this.

Blrfl
11-18-2009, 02:09 AM

I've been scratching my head for 40 posts wondering the same thing.

Really, guys, mods put rules in place to solve problems, and every one they add makes a little more work for them in perpetuity.

People dropping the F-bomb in thread titles is, what, maybe one or two in 25,000 threads? Is it a problem? Technically, I suppose it is. Is it a big enough problem that we need a formal rule that says "thou shalt not droppeth the F-bomb in thread titles?" Nah. Rule or no rule, it will happen once in awhile. The mods here seem to have good taste and judgment, and they'll take care of it when it happens.

My experience at "my other place" has been that people sometimes forget that the mods aren't paid to cover the site 24x7 and have wives, kids, jobs, houses, yards and (GASP!) other hobbies. Sometimes it takes a few hours until they get to it, and some people are going to see it whether they want to or not. That's life on planet Earth. If you've had enough exposure to a word to know that you find it offensive, it's already been etched into your brain somewhere and being exposed to it again isn't going to divert you onto a path of eternal sin and vice. Just say "Yecch, I find that distasteful" and move along.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant, didn't it?

--Mark

bbycrts
11-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Seriously??? THIS is how people want to spend their energy on UU? All the haters in here should be ashamed of themselves. This resource is here to spread aloha and ukulele, not bitch and moan about stupid details.

It is a free forum and we are DAMN LUCKY that Ryan, Aldrine, and Aaron provide it for us. The last thing we should be doing is repaying their generosity and aloha by bickering like a bunch of over-hormoned teenagers. Get out of here, everybody, get back to the forums where you can be a community of musicians and friends instead of a whining, sniveling, pissy bunch of children.

There - heap your hatred and anger on ME for talking to you like that - but GET IT OFF THE BOARDS.

rayan
11-18-2009, 08:31 AM
For the record,

I think that all of the sigs Andy made were of acceptable size. I agree there were some that were too big. Keep em below 150px tall and we should be fine. Thanks.