Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsme

Reaction score
I know things are pretty loose around here and that the main rule is don't be a jerk. :)

But I'd like to see a bit of restriction when it comes to signatures. I know I can turn them off, but would rather not. I'd just like to see them be reasonable. Some go on forever (just saw someone post 3 replies to a thread with their 17-line sig in each post) or that have really huge graphics.

Oh, and since I'm obviously dreaming, can we have a rule against swearing, at least in thread titles? My daddy always said if you couldn't express yourself without using cuss words, that your vocabulary was lacking. :eek:

I would tend to agree that your signature shouldn't have a larger font or be longer that your post.

It is nice to have some of the links that some folks have but some are just to...

I have sigs disabled because a lot of them are just WAY too big. I'd like to see them but not if it's going to take up the whole screen. So yeah, I agree with the OP.

Hey ITSME, my Dad always said that, too! I've never heard it anywhere else.

Small world.

We do have sig rules, but they're not enforced.

On the subject of cussing (swearing, use of foul language, etc.) When the subject came up with my (then) young son, I told him:-

"Swearing is something most of us do. Certainly, your mother and I swear. Swearing can help you give vent to your feelings, and can be very expressive, used in the right way. It is up to you to learn when, and where, it is acceptable to swear. If you ever offend anyone by your use of 'colourful' language, then you have got it wrong".

Quite obviously, swearing on a public forum will offend someone. It is wrong.

John Colter.

My dad always told me to shutup and eat my cereal, but I still appreciate that these forums are by and large SFW language. The swearing doesn't offend me in the slightest, but it really can chase off a lot of people I'd rather see around. We're pretty good at self-policing that one...

...but as far as sigs go, I'd personally like to see an option to disable images while keeping the text. Some people put really useful stuff in their sigs, and I like that, but I'd rather not see a banner-sized picture at the end of every other post

...but as far as sigs go, I'd personally like to see an option to disable images while keeping the text. Some people put really useful stuff in their sigs, and I like that, but I'd rather not see a banner-sized picture at the end of every other post

:agree:

That would be an excellent change. I've never seen a forum so full of bumper-sticker-sized sig graphics, which always seem silly to me when the sig graphic is larger than the post itself.

On the subject of cussing (swearing, use of foul language, etc.) When the subject came up with my (then) young son, I told him:-

"Swearing is something most of us do. Certainly, your mother and I swear. Swearing can help you give vent to your feelings, and can be very expressive, used in the right way. It is up to you to learn when, and where, it is acceptable to swear. If you ever offend anyone by your use of 'colourful' language, then you have got it wrong".

Quite obviously, swearing on a public forum will offend someone. It is wrong.

John Colter.

I couldn't agree with you more.

It's a good thing we don't have rep points anymore or we would all be in the red! LOL

Jack

For me, I think having censorship (self or otherwise) on this forum is problematic, you know, the whole freedom of speech and everything. Also, that everyone would have a different standard of what's a bad word or not.

And cussing doesn't seem to be a problem anyway here (for me, at least, but I haven't been around for a week or so :D), so why make it one? Personally I have never been offended by anyone here because of some curse words. Jerks are way more offensive than some bad word (which ARE expressive and good sometimes :D). So, yeah.

As for the signatures, don't care either way - since there is the choice of turning it off.

Last edited:
Is it just me or do all of these threads end up turning into the same discussion about sigs, censorship and post count, lol? Just sayin'...

I know things are pretty loose around here and that the main rule is don't be a jerk. :)

But I'd like to see a bit of restriction when it comes to signatures. I know I can turn them off, but would rather not. I'd just like to see them be reasonable. Some go on forever (just saw someone post 3 replies to a thread with their 17-line sig in each post) or that have really huge graphics.

Oh, and since I'm obviously dreaming, can we have a rule against swearing, at least in thread titles? My daddy always said if you couldn't express yourself without using cuss words, that your vocabulary was lacking. :eek:

It's not that I don't see where you're coming from. I'm not a big fan of sigs. That's why I turned them off long ago. That's my advice to you, itsme. Just turn them off, and all is well. If you think a sig is way over the limit, just drop a mod a PM and we'll look into it. :)

As far as swearing goes, currently there is no rule against it. We haven't had a problem with swearing, so I don't know where this complaint is coming from. I wouldn't mind there being a filter, but I kind of like it that we leave it up to everyone to practice good manners.

I agree that it should not be allowed in thread titles. I don't have any problem with editing thread titles if they contain swears. There was an instance not too long ago where someone used the f-word in a thread title, I'm glad I caught it early and edited it. There were a few posters in that thread that let the offender know how they felt about such words, and that's cool, but I'd prefer it if they'd just dropped a mod a PM instead.

The mods rely on you guys a lot. We need you to exercise common sense in both sig sizes and swearing, and to let us know if something is offensive. Don't be afraid to hit that Alert button and let the mods know what you're thinking.

We do have sig rules, but they're not enforced.

We actually don't have any sig rules, but if we did, I'd think yours would break them. Do you really need two of the same graphic?

Last edited:
So many people that participate on forums like this are very full of themselves, hence the annoying signatures. If there was no option to disable sigs, then I would never be able to visit here again. It's a sad situation that so many people in the world today think that being annoying is cool.

So many people that participate on forums like this are very full of themselves, hence the annoying signatures. If there was no option to disable sigs, then I would never be able to visit here again. It's a sad situation that so many people in the world today think that being annoying is cool.

What is annoying to you is not necessarily what is annoying to everyone. Again, hit that disable button and avoid the annoyance.

What is annoying to you is not necessarily what is annoying to everyone. Again, hit that disable button and avoid the annoyance.

Susie, that goes without saying. What's annoying to you may not be annoying to me. Who cares what 'everyone' thinks? Comparing is a waste of time. Each person has their tolerance. However, if you look around the world, in cities, and on the internet, there clearly are masses of people who are being annoying simply for the sake of annoying others.

The disable button is always on for me.

Thanks you guys - I just found the "Disable signatures" button. That's MUCH better!

John Colter.

I'm not a big fan of sigs. That's why I turned them off long ago. That's my advice to you, itsme. Just turn them off, and all is well.
Yes, I know I could just turn them off, but I'm with the person quoted below.

I appreciate many of the sigs, and enjoy the opportunity to have a link to their youtube or blog or whatever. It's just the size of some of the graphic sigs gets old. Perhaps they could be limited to no more than certain pixel dimensions/kb's like avatars are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom