How to change strings on a Big Island HONU

sebi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a little problem here. I don't know how to change the strings on a Big Island HONU concert ukulele.

My new wonderful ukulele finally arrived today and it has dot pins in the bridge, which looks really nice. Unfortunately, I'm new to this kind of construction and I have absolutely no clue how to the change strings on my HONU.

Can someone please teach me how to do that?

Attachments

• Photo 103.jpg
    Photo 103.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 35
i've never seen those on a uke, only on guitar - I'd either tie a knot in the string - pull out pin, and you wedge the string in with it.

Or - you could buy some string ball ends that you tie on

(just my guess)

I am pretty sure about this, but don't have a uke with bridge pins. So I think you just pull the pins out of the bridge and there should be a hole there with a little slit that the string is stuck in. Loosen the old string to remove then take your new string tie a know in the end and place it in the whole and make the string go through the slit, replace pin and tune up.

Or check out this article on live ukulele. It has directions about half way down.

What Dan said. If you have trouble getting the bridge pins out, grab them and wiggle them around in as many directions as you can. Sometimes the string will get wedged in there, and pushing it back in toward the hole will loosen everything up.

Alternately, stop into your local guitar shop and pick up a string winder, which is a little plastic crank you slip over your tuning pegs when installing new strings. Many have a slot cut in the edge for pulling bridge pins, like this one: CLICKY

When you go to put the pins back in, they don't have to be mashed into the holes. There's sort of a delicate balance between so loose that they fly out when you put tension on the string and just tight enough to hold them in place. After a few tries, you'll find it.

--Mark

Sounds like it is set up Kanile'a Ukuleles use. To change the strings you have to pull the pins out of the bridge. If you don't have a guitar string winder- which has a notch to pull the pin out just use a pare of side cutters or needle nose pliers. Keep the pins in order you take them out- the may be slotted to each string . Or the bridge may be slotted for the string. Slip it under the head and gently pull upwards. Once the pins are out take each string and knot the end- smaller ones need more than one knot. Take the string and slide it down the hole against the back- toward saddle of the hole until the knot is just beyond the bridge block inside the Uke. Now slide the pin in until is seats. Pull up firmly to seat the string against the bridge block. If you aren't sure post and I'll try a different approach. Doug

A big thank you to all of you!

I will get a string winder tomorrow and try my best changing the strings.

You guys are great. Uke on :music:

Top Bottom