lost interest for a bit, dont know why

keithy351

Reaction score
hey guys, dont know why but lately ive lost interest in my uke, basically hasnt come out of its case for about a week just havnt had interest, help me out, how can i regain my interest, golf has taken over

Sorry about that. A moment of blind horror...

Ahem... To business.

Keithy, do you play with other people, mate? Or do you play mostly at home? If you don't get to play much with other people, then IMHO that's what you need to do.

If you do play with other people maybe you need to inject a bit of variety into what you're doing.

or, you take the Uke on the golf course - have a play whilst waiting for the others to swing.

lol buddhuu golfs been a passion of mine for a while.... nah i dont play with mates, so i guess hit up my mates for a jam is a part cure, taking the uke to the course, biggg no no, golf requires 120% concentration.... p.s got to watch tiger woods live, stood 3 meters away from him :D

Ah, you poor fella... :( No good ever came of golf...

That aside... Playing with others is the thing. It is A WORLD different to sitting at home playing along with MP3s and vids. IMO there is no better way to spend one's time than making music with other people. It is both motivational and educational.

Don't limit yourself to looking for other uke players. If there are some around then that's great, but if not, find guitar players, bass players, harmonica players, kazoo and jug payers! Whatever - just find musicians of any kind, at any level of ability.

If you have a local pub/club/bar where you are well known, why not speak to the management about starting a jam night? Founding and running a pub jam/ballad session is the best thing I ever did.

Music is best with other people. It's a sharing thing. The coolest.

Ah, you poor fella... :( No good ever came of golf...

That aside... Playing with others is the thing. It is A WORLD different to sitting at home playing along with MP3s and vids. IMO there is no better way to spend one's time than making music with other people. It is both motivational and educational.

Don't limit yourself to looking for other uke players. If there are some around then that's great, but if not, find guitar players, bass players, harmonica players, kazoo and jug payers! Whatever - just find musicians of any kind, at any level of ability.

If you have a local pub/club/bar where you are well known, why not speak to the management about starting a jam night? Founding and running a pub jam/ballad session is the best thing I ever did.

Music is best with other people. It's a sharing thing. The coolest.

cheers mate, next year plans to do open mic nights, so thats on the cards and lookin foward to it too but great advice thanks been off this site for a week or so also but commin back has sparked an interest espically seeing a vid upload from a girl in the naked uke thingy has really sparked my love for ukes all over again :D

If you are looking for people to play with, keep your eye out for the UUminijams thread in the general discussion section. Last night, there were a good 10 people playing and another 5-10 just watching. The only problem is the time of day depending on what part of the world you live in.
Last nights jam started just before 10pm CST and was still going strong just before midnight when I left. And if you can't make it during your time zone, start your own mini jam. We use Tokbox.com

That said, I always get inspiration from the others that are playing and watching me play. It is a lot of fun. Hope to see you there.

GOLF???????:wtf: I agree with the others sounds like you need a good jam session, a few tropical drinks etc. to right the ship!!!:)

Like so many players, maybe you didn't so much pick the uke, as it picked you. It might be done with you for now, but if my hunch is right, it'll be back. You are still here... ;) As a great man once said:

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.
- Homer Simpson

Wait... Where did I see that?:shaka:

hey guys, dont know why but lately ive lost interest in my uke, basically hasnt come out of its case for about a week just havnt had interest, help me out, how can i regain my interest, golf has taken over

+1 on taking the uke to the golf course. Maybe get another different kind of uke? Like have a soprano and a tenor. Then after a couple of weeks switch out to keep your interest up. Maybe try a different set of strings? I'm the same way with long distance bicycling.

If anything, lay the uke aside and concentrate on golfing. It's good physical activity. I went to a driving range with a co-worker and it is harder than it looks! I was out there for most of the day. I never did that before and the next day the whole side of my body was sore!
Ernest

Some one once said that " Golf was a good walk spoiled! ", well I think it was walk.
Anyhow, I can understand your passion for it, it always leaves you wanting more. Strange that it should happen at this time of year.
I am very similar when the clocks change and the dark nights come my passion for all things musical increase beyond reason, in the summer I tend to be less interested but still play guitar a bit. It will come back just let it takes it's course ( forgive the pun)

One bad game and the uke will be back .
Have fun whatever

OK, Keithy, if you're still here, seriously, you need to learn some new songs. It's that simple. Try "Watching The Detectives," by Elvis Costello, then some Police, like "Walking On The Moon." There, one more with that subversive reggae beat... "Israelites" by the Skatellites. There, that's three songs that you either learn or re-learn. Or write a new one, better yet. C'mon, I'll even give you a G, hope yours is high... Ready?.... Gggggggggggggggg... Gggggggggggggggggg...
Next, C?... Ccccccccccccc... Cccccccccccccc...

Last edited:
This happens to me sometimes. Best way to shake it is to pick a song you really like, and learn to play it. I think part of the boredom is that you tend to play the same stuff every time you pick up the uke, and you're tired of it. Having something new to play helps a lot.

You are married to your 'ukulele now, and the honeymoon is over. Total infatuation has turned into practical balanced love. Make sure you don't neglect her.

You are married to your 'ukulele now, and the honeymoon is over. Total infatuation has turned into practical balanced love. Make sure you don't neglect her.
Aww, man, she's messin' with you. Testing you. She's waiting to see if you pick up your guitar - in front of her... - then comes the total freeze out. Winter's coming. Could be a hibernation period is coming.

I am one of those guys that tends to switch hobbies after a little while. then I will slowly come back to it (actually, thats why I am here!) but I think its natural.

I had fun with my uke for awhile and then it sat for probably 2 years. Then one day I just opened a video with some cool music and learned a new song. Then 2, 3, 4 new songs came and I am into it again. who knows, come summer, it'll probably be the motorcycle again! lol..

Top Bottom