Purchasing dilemma!

bazmaz

Reaction score
I have a need for another Uke, and need recommendations. But hey, I have no care which direction you take your recommendations, so long as they are backed up - READ ON!!

I already own... one Mainland Concert Mahogany, a Flea Soprano, and a Lanikai LU21 soprano beater. I am not interested in a tenor or a baritone, and want to keep to concert, soprano or maybe sopranino size. C tuned. Also not interested in a Fluke.

My own thoughts are leading me to the following:

• Ohana SK21 Sopranino
  • Eleuke
  • Mainland Boat paddle
  • Kala Travel soprano

I have about £150 to spend ($240 ish?) and really am not sure. I love the mainlands - hence the boat paddle, like the idea of a tiny sopranino for the fun of it, love the idea of a travel uke (though, arent all ukes travel size??) and the Eleuke would be so cool with my Pignose travel amp when with friends in the pub.

The trouble is, I still have wild ideas as to WHY I want another uke (do I need a reason?!) partly want one for gigging, partly want one for home....

Heck, I dont know - maybe something else altogether (although, bear in mind I am in UK and ordering aint that easy!)

Come on friendly people - get your thinking caps on!!

I think Mike only has a couple of Boat-shaped sopranos left. If that's what you want you'd probably better jump on it.

oh.... hells teeth!

I may do that..

Anyway, should have added on my post - I know how many generic posts we get on here that just say "pick me a Uke" - I hope you see that I am not trying to be generic - to be honest, in the words of my good lady wife "i dont NEED one".....

Thats the point really - UAS is biting, not got masses to spend, and want another.

I suppose my weak spot is in the soprano area - heck, I love my Flea, but maybe a wooden top sop would fit there.

Oh I dont know...!!

Your UAS takes a different form from mine. With you, it seems to be a case of, "I've got some money to spend. Iwant to spend it on a uke. What should I get".

With me it's, "I've got more than enough ukes already, but I've just seen -----, and I've got to have it".

You want something for gigging. You already have a couple of good acoustic ukes. The Eleuke looks to be favourite.

John Colter.

If I had your restrictions - I'd go with the Mainland Boat-shape. I always want something a little out of the ordinary. That would do it. Super cool.

(refraining from mocking the "no tenor" rule... :p)

I'm gonna have to vote for the boat paddle, too. Mainly because it's different and in limited supply. Aside from that...I really want a sopranino. There is a certain amount of "cuteness" associated with its smaller-than-normal size and I think it would be great for "kicked back in bed" playing.

i had the eleuke and returned it...wasnt a huge fan

i would go with the mainland (only thing is that it will be kinda similar to your flea because of the shape)

i too am coming around to the Eleuke - for night practice and gigging "something different" (though I have mic'd and gigged my Flea already)

I know it sounds like a capo'd guitar, but ho hum.

the no tenor rule is purely down to size and portability - the house is already full of acoustic guitars and their cases! Plus, a guitar capo'd at the 5th is gonna give me them notes

Only other thought - Banjolele?

Last edited:
Banjolele would be completely different in sound. But, if you want a Boat, I can say I really love mine.
–Lori

Attachments

• IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7321.jpg
    IMG_7321.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 18
wow - they are lovely Uke's - never looked at them before - good reviews?

Though - what on earth is "massive mahogany" - are they all solid?

stuck now - gonna be a Bruko 6 or a Eleuke....

i adore everything about the look of those brukos - from the headstock, the maple neck, the fact they are handmade - heck, even down the the lack of logo on the head, and having it stamped inside.

Perhaps though, with three decent acoustic ukes already in the house, that the eleuke is a sensible way to go.

hi paul, so allow me to start by saying i'm no uke expert (i've been playing for all of about a month), but, i do have an eleuke - i got it so that i could practice at night without waking up the Mrs. to that end, it's great, very very quiet compared to an acoustic when unamped, and i did some reading online - it looks as though it's quieter than some other electrics as well. headphones in it sounds just fine for its purpose.

i have also read some info online (i don't recall where) about some quality control issues on the eleukes. i can only speak from my personal experience with my one eleuke, but mine is very nice. good luck with your purchase!

thanks - my typical indecisive self is now swinging back to Bruko.

Looking at the eleuke (which I do like) - the benefits to me seem to be

1. Playing quietly at night - no biggie for me - our house is three floors and when wife and babe are asleep they cant hear me with my Flea or Mainland

2. Gigging and recording - again - no biggie - when I have played Uke in public, its been accompanied by other Ukes. I have recorded it too with a Shure Mic with no bother.

Therefore - the Eleuke plus points, whilst still plusses, are not desperately needed by me. Something about the look of that Bruko No6

Top Bottom