PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a very tough decision

Aldrine Guerrero
01-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Okay it's been a little over a year since I got Mika (my tenor Kamaka) but I've always had my eyes set on a full custom Kamaka ukulele. The waiting list is long on a fancy one but the ones with an already pre-made template I heard is not too bad. A few months from what a friend told me.

Now here's where the decision becomes tough. I have enough for the down payment on one but a little short on the full. I can always save up and get enough for the full BUT...

I thought since I'll have a new Kamaka after that, Mika should go to a new home.

I'd love for someone else to have the same sound experience that I've had with Mika. She's done magic and wonders for me, so maybe it's someone else's turn.

Mika is a tenor Kamaka that I bought stock from a music store here on Kauai. I picked her up and immediately noticed potential. I knew what I wanted and what kind of sound I was looking for. I consulted Jake Shimabukuro about taking it back to the Kamaka shop and have some things modified. The product of Mika's makeover is the sound that you hear in my video's or if you ever came to our live performances. She produces a nice and warm tone with great fretboard feel. Anyone who's ever played her can tell you how nice the action and response is.

Should I sell her or not? Can you guys give me your opinions? If I should sell, how much should she go for? What would YOU do?

Here's a video of Nakashima Mika (the pop singer that Mika was named after) singing "Glamorous sky"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuY0-n2RFUc

pakiboy949
01-01-2008, 12:28 PM
yo aldrine, i'll buy it for all i've got. a $50 costco card and $10 from my bank account :D (New Years hurt me good.)

Aldrine Guerrero
01-01-2008, 12:33 PM
yo aldrine, i'll buy it for all i've got. a $50 costco card and $10 from my bank account :D (New Years hurt me good.)

Hahaha. You've got more than I sir LOL

Whats your opinion?

Misguided Musician
01-01-2008, 12:33 PM
WOW! I would be pretty amazed if it were on sale, but I say u shouldn't sell her. I would rather save up and buy a new one. Two Kamakas are better than one. Plus, wouldn't u miss the warm sound of her that u got in ur videos and performances?

Well if ur gonna sell, I might be willing to pay the price. How much did u get Mika for?

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 12:40 PM
i agree with mister misguided, i would keep Mika. its always nice to have a backup. plus it has brought you good magical, virginity taking times.

on the OTHER HAND....

Fred Miu is looking for a new Tenor as well. :D

arrangement i suppose?

Dominator
01-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Happy New Year Aldrine.

I think you should keep the uke. Just keep playing it while you save the extra $ for a new one. I don't know if you ever play with a low G but you could set her up for that after you get your new one.

I don't play with low G that often but recently I've been enjoying it a bit while working on Europa and most recently Bryan Tolentino's beautiful chord melody version of Over the Rainbow. He is reviewing the tab now so hopefully I will get it posted soon.

kyle
01-01-2008, 12:59 PM
i'd keep her too. haha i smell competition thouhg if you do sell her.

man a down payment for a uke... how much does a full custom kamaka cost???

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 01:03 PM

kyle is true. people would fight over Mika like crazy.

sometimes they can be from $700-1200 i believe last time i checked

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 01:06 PM
i wouldnt sell her, she is a part of you...it would be like selling your soul

deadeye
01-01-2008, 01:12 PM
dont sell her

just go busking with her on the streets till u can afford a better one

pakiboy949
01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
keep it for memorabilia, if you sell your favorite uke that you've held onto, you'll eventually miss it. I'm sure you can get a lot of money for it though just because you've demonstrated its capabilities.

Fatboicorp
01-01-2008, 04:08 PM
I would keep it because you've been through a lot with it, made special moments with it, moments you'll never forget you did. So i would keep it then when you want to play with her again you could just play and hear her soothing sound. hahah.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Hahaha I like how we refer to the Mika as "her"

Hehehe. She'd be happy :3

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 04:11 PM
haha im going back and forth through threads like CRAZYYYY!!!

and Mika IS a beautiful pop singer too. and since you named Mika (uke) after Mika (pop singer) i would keep her.

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Hahaha I like how we refer to the Mika as "her"

Hehehe. She'd be happy :3

i like how you gave your ukulele a name haha. i thought that was great!!!

Aldrine Guerrero
01-01-2008, 04:12 PM
haha im going back and forth through threads like CRAZYYYY!!!

and Mika IS a beautiful pop singer too. and since you named Mika (uke) after Mika (pop singer) i would keep her.

Hahahaha yeah... imma post up the Mika Nakashima video on the first post to show everyone who Mika is named after.

Mika singing "Glamorous sky" live acoustic :3

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
i can play the first like 10 chords to that song because of you haha

my ukes name is Helen, of Troy that is.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-01-2008, 04:15 PM
i like how you gave your ukulele a name haha. i thought that was great!!!

Hahaha.

Well I believe that when you give an ukulele a name, the relationship between a musician and his instrument becomes more personal. Thus, anything that comes out also becomes more personal as well. Tis a beautiful thing my friend :3

HungSolo
01-01-2008, 04:16 PM
At least it's not Luka... :)

Agree with the rest. If you can and still make ends meet, I'd keep her. I've sold or given away a few guitars that at some point, I ended up regretting. I just got my very first guitar I ever bought back from my brother who ended up never learning and even though it's a POS, it's my first guitar, so I'm stoked to have "it" back. I call it "it" because it has no personality and sounds like crap, but we have a history as being my first. Sounds like an abused spouse, eh?

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Hahaha.

Well I believe that when you give an ukulele a name, the relationship between a musician and his instrument becomes more personal. Thus, anything that comes out also becomes more personal as well. Tis a beautiful thing my friend :3

hmm touche my friend...i am going to have to think of a name that means something to me and my uke.

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
hmm touche my friend...i am going to have to think of a name that means something to me and my uke.

name your uke either Eric (k) or Frances (boy or girls name)

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 04:22 PM
name your uke either Eric (k) or Frances (boy or girls name)

haha why those?

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
i dunno haha

how about Hailee or Brandy lol

or make a name in like a foreign language haha

aztec language haha

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 04:25 PM
i dunno haha

how about Hailee or Brandy lol

or make a name in like a foreign language haha

aztec language haha

oooh ill name it Hailee in honor of you fred haha

HungSolo
01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
oooh ill name it Hailee in honor of you fred haha

Or Cortana, since your sig has a Halo reference...

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 04:28 PM
haha dont do that just because of me, you have to name it own your own. i was just giving name examples lol

but you are very kind. Ashley is the best one

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Or Cortana, since your sig has a Halo reference...

oooh

hmm maybe a winner there...

ooh i got it...the Ceniza will be Hailee and the Tenor Lanikai will be cortana

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 04:29 PM
as i think about it i really love the name keilani

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 04:31 PM
sounds like you're set then ^_^

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 04:33 PM
sounds like you're set then ^_^

i am!

the first uke (signed by jake) = Keilani

the Ceniza by T&K = Hailee

the Lanikai Tenor = Cortana

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 04:37 PM
my uke signed by Jake shall be named.....Jake hahaha

Aldrine Guerrero
01-01-2008, 04:41 PM
I've started quite the spark with this whole name thing... hahaha

titoboy5
01-01-2008, 04:42 PM
sell it! or give it to me! i'll give it a nice home.

HungSolo
01-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I've started quite the spark with this whole name thing... hahaha

Temporarily, I've named mine Jay, cuz it's a little bitch. J/K, actually it's my fingers that are the bitches.

Fred Miu
01-01-2008, 04:48 PM
haha, i guess you did Aldrine. haha punk >_<

NukeDOC
01-01-2008, 05:01 PM
uke: keep it. been through too much with her.

names:
motorcycle is estella. from the movie "great expectations"
car is isabelle.
airsoft gun is tess.
real M1A rifle is charlene.
.45 cal 1911 is kim.
no names for any of my musical instruments though. its difficult coming up with names.

CenizaT&K-01
01-01-2008, 07:27 PM
uke: keep it. been through too much with her.

names:
motorcycle is estella. from the movie "great expectations"
car is isabelle.
airsoft gun is tess.
real M1A rifle is charlene.
.45 cal 1911 is kim.
no names for any of my musical instruments though. its difficult coming up with names.

you name your airsoft gun but not your ukulele's hmmm...haha

NukeDOC
01-01-2008, 08:00 PM
you name your airsoft gun but not your ukulele's hmmm...haha

my airsoft gun cost me more than all three of my ukuleles put together. i basically built that sucker up from scratch... sad part is that i barely play airsoft anymore. hurt my knee.

but yeah i guess when i finally shell it out for a uke worth more than $500 ill name her. right now my only fairly expensive istrument is my epiphone les paul custom in silverburst. and it doesnt have a name because its an epiphone and not a gibson. thing is, ive had really good luck finding instruments that sound really good for a fraction of the cost of a "high end" piece. instruments whose sound difference in quality is trivial to others that cost many times what i spent on them.... sometimes sounding even better.

seeso
01-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I think you should keep her.

My ukulele's name is Janie.

studentaccount1
01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
My uke's name is Sonny

Fred Miu
01-02-2008, 06:02 AM
dude guys, this is for helping Aldrine, not what is your ukulele name.

either i or someone else will make that thread

Aldrine Guerrero
01-02-2008, 06:51 AM

The basic ones cost $2500 :(

kyle
01-02-2008, 08:39 AM

pretty insane.. i know koaloha's got a new one out called the sceptor. there's an all koa version and then another one made of ebony and some other white-ish wood. Alvin okami said the black/white one goes for about 4500... but the thing looks meeeaaan!

studentaccount1
01-02-2008, 09:50 AM

That's pretty steep for a Kamaka.

tripl3thr33
01-02-2008, 11:17 AM
lol all these names...... mine is still nameless :(
but i would keep mika, seems like lotsa experiences with her lol

Aldrine Guerrero
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
That's pretty steep for a Kamaka.

No its not hahaha.

Fatboicorp
01-04-2008, 03:16 PM
So aldrine what's your decision???

Aldrine Guerrero
01-05-2008, 12:49 AM
So aldrine what's your decision???

It's a tough one so it's gonna take some time. What I'm interested in thgouh, is how much would people pay for Mika?!

ukuleleplaya
01-05-2008, 03:11 AM
long after the money is forgotten you will still have that custom KK made by the Kamaka Ohana:rolleyes:. get it!!! don't forget the bomb proof case...

ukuleleplaya
01-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Aldrine, as long as you have your kick around uke for da beach you know mika is just going to be a forgotten memory. put her in da closet and say bye bye, you know old girlfriend. now ebay is something to consider??? put her up with a reserve and see what happens, if you don't get what ya need keep her. what kind work did Kamaka do for mika?

grappler
01-05-2008, 04:15 PM
dont sell it aldrine!

sam13
08-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Did he ever sell it?

Ukulelerick9255
08-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Here's what I would do, I'd keep it and have a custom made by a private luthier like Chuck Moore, Eric Devine, jay Licthy, Beau Hannam. I say this because I feel like a custom Kamaka will still sound like a Kamaka which you already have whereas a build from someone else will give you a whole new sound and more options.

Booli
08-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Guys this thread is like 8 yrs old and I highly doubt you are going to get any replies....

Why dont you just sent a PM to Aldrine?

He's probably on tour somewhere now, and has likely moved on from this topic a long time age.

stevejfc
08-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Save up, get the new one, and then decide

stevejfc
08-25-2016, 10:31 AM
Guys this thread is like 8 yrs old and I highly doubt you are going to get any replies....

Why dont you just sent a PM to Aldrine?

He's probably on tour somewhere now, and has likely moved on from this topic a long time age.
Booli, you obviously read the whole thread...........I guess I should have!

Booli
08-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Booli, you obviously read the whole thread...........I guess I should have!

No worries. Also to note that I have not ever seen these other folks that posted here in this thread besides Aldrine, make a single post since I joined up in April 2013, so methinks the rest of them are all long gone...

coolkayaker1
08-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Personally, I can see it going either way. One way might be better than the other, but you'll never know once you choose a direction and move ahead.

An interesting conundrum, certainly.

Mivo
08-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Ancient thread, but a good discussion.

I'd be wary of selling a good ukulele that I have (and that I know is great) to get the money to buy a ukulele that may or may not be better. It's the sparrow in the hand vs. the dove on the roof kind of thing. I'm more comfortable selling things that I no longer need or that I have a replacement for, than something I might regret selling. I always felt this fear of regret clashes with my fundamentally minimalist lifestyle desire. So perhaps being spontaneous and taking risks is a better approach: selling the most expensive uke to finance a possibly better one, and then just flowing with it, no matter the outcome.

Stevelele
08-26-2016, 06:17 AM
i wonder how this thread got revived-- a blast from the past. some interesting history there--back when you could actually buy a full custom from kamaka, and when it was a lot cheaper. And back before Aldrine had a custom uke named after him and sold to the public. A fun visit to days of yore. I wonder where Deach is