It's only been 1 week!

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
Ok so I have been away, and forgot to take my ukulele.... stupidly.... However, I suck!! I can't even strum properly (probably because my nail is now like 5cm long) I can't pick either, ahhh disaster!!

anyone lose all they have (i dont even have that much skill) in only one week?

I haven't ever lost all my skills in 1 week but i don't have that much talent either. You will probably get it back if you start playing more.

A week is a long time to go without playing. I've had similar lapses. Some days I pick up my uke, and wonder if someone stole my brain. A cup of tea usually helps, for me.

Keep at it. Your skills have not gone. They are just taking a breather.

John Colter.

Ok so I have been away, and forgot to take my ukulele.... stupidly.... However, I suck!! I can't even strum properly (probably because my nail is now like 5cm long) I can't pick either, ahhh disaster!!

Happens with me to, well with games you're so good blah blah blah, stop playing for a month and go back you forget where everything is. You look like an idiot "duuuuuh what dis button do?" lol or you look like me "How do you jump which button?" over and over.

After a few tries it should come back.

i lost ALOT of money in one week from medical bills, hence my absence from this site for a while :(

but im back now and healthy and can hop on my ukulele build logs lol

I've done that- a week or a month away because of intense work issues or family drama crap, and everything I enjoy takes a back seat to deal with the hooey. Sometimes time away does me good, I'm like who the heck is playing this uke? it's not me! Other times I feel like if I'd never ever picked up a uke before, I'd play it better that I could at that moment. I think sometimes it's the muscle memory isn't there because the brain is tired or my blood sugar is low. Something is not online. I'm old enough that there could be a LOT of things not online at any given moment! :agree:

When you get to a certain point you reach what the Japanese call mu-shin, the "mind of no mind". This is when you simply do something by reflex, like flipping a light-switch. You don't have to think about it, you just do it.

Once you reach "mu-shin" it is a matter of just playing. Your body works as it was designed. Music is effortless at that point. It is when you think about everything to the extent that you are watching all the little details and some slip through the cracks that you are having an "off day".

Don't think, just do.

Last edited:
Don't worry, there's this thing called... SPONTANEOUS RECOVERY! Everything you ever learned will be remembered better than before. I congratulate you.

This happens to everyone who plays something, some days are better than others. Just don't let it get you down, come back to it a litle bit later. The whole learning curve with anything starts off very steep , we take masses in and amaze ourselevs with progress ,then it slows down and we can reach a plateau. I always find that playing with others ofetn helps put it back.
I have often had this feeling wih guitars , sometimes I play and I just can't believe I did that and then other times, I seem like a beginner again. All is not lost!,It's just stored for a while, play when you feel in the mood, don't force it you will get frustrated. litlte and often is sometimes the cure
Good luck and don't give up!

lol thats funny, stop playin the uke, study for ya HSC haha.... they must be sellin some weird ass weed up in campletown, that or another one of those dirty hookers you keep seeing has affected ur uke playing

Top Bottom