PDA

View Full Version : Your new Russian comrade from Kansas City

Sergey
11-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Howdy, Ukulele Underground! My name is Sergey and I come originally from Russia, but have been living in the States for quite some time now. I go to university in Kansas City.

I found out about this forum a few months ago, but never bothered to register. Today, however, is a cold and wet day in Kansas City and all I want to do is sit around on a message board. So here I am!

A little about me; I'm a hobbyist musician and have always enjoyed the uke very much. I've got a couple of Kala ukes, a soprano and a tenor. I play a few other instruments as well, mainly guitar. Here's a little portion of my instrument collection...

http://dejitalstudio.com/stuff/ukeunderground/instruments.jpg

If you are curious, the third instrument from the left is a Balalaika, a Russian guitar that is awfully uncomfortable to play, but sounds very unique! It has three strings, two of which are high gauge nylon strings tuned to the same note.

I hope that I will be able to contribute to conversation here on Ukulele Underground, see you guys around!

I leave you with me on accordion:

http://dejitalstudio.com/stuff/ukeunderground/accordion.jpg

haole
11-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Welcome to UU, Sergey! :D Awesome that you play the balalaika. Looks really difficult to play sitting down. ;) I dig the accordion too. Enjoy your stay at the Underground! We're a friendly bunch.

Ukulele JJ
11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Welcome Sergey! I also play accordion. It's a fun instrument! (I though all Russian accordionists played the bayan? :p)

I first heard about balalaikas from the Beatles song "Back in the U.S.S.R."

JJ

Sergey
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Welcome Sergey! I also play accordion. It's a fun instrument! (I though all Russian accordionists played the bayan? :p)

I first heard about balalaikas from the Beatles song "Back in the U.S.S.R."

JJ
I wish I could bring my bayan from Russia but it weighs a ton and I have no idea how to get something like that on a plane safely. For now, I'm stuck with piano keyboard, I do not mind! Both of my accordions here in America need repair (probably Russian one as well), but it's tough to find somebody around here to do it.

salukulady
11-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Wecome to the underground! Glad you could join us.

buddhuu
11-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Добро пожаловать, Sergey. :)

ukeshale
11-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Welcome to the Underground :) It's great to have you here