Teaching a cat to play the Ukulele!

Sergey

Reaction score
Howdy, I'm a new member here on Ukulele Underground. I figure as my first order of business, I should tell you guys a little a bit about my new project! Recently, I have gained a new member into my family, his name is Sebastien and he is a young kitten. At this point, he's probably been with us for about 6 months.

sebastien01.jpg

This little guy is incredibly curious about things, like many cats are. However, he is a little special. His hobby seems to be biting things. I have dealt with a good deal of cats in my life, but never one so interested in biting and chewing!

One day, I noticed he was biting on a bass guitar string. I figured it was probably not a good idea for a kitten to be biting on thick, steel bass guitar strings, so I pulled him away. However, he was very intent on biting at the strings! So, I put a uke in front of him and watched him pick at the strings with his teeth. Sure enough, the strings resonated quite nicely every time he pulled at them.

Long story short, for the past couple of weeks I have been giving him a snack every time he plays the ukulele for me. He has become very good at it and delivers a loud, consistent tone every time! He expects a treat for every note, but I have been trying to teach him to play more and more notes per treat, slowly escalating the requirements. He's catching on!

Does anybody else have an experience with animals playing instruments? Aside from the YouTube videos of cats setting their paws on piano keyboards, of course.

Edit: And why don't you check out this video of Sebastien on YouTube. Sorry, no Uke featured (yet). :)

Last edited:
Lol wow I have never heard of animals playing stringed instruments before :) maybe in a year we'll have the first Seesocat. Bustin out mad tunes with four strings! :)

I'm desperately fighting the urge (and the prodding of my wife) to break down and get a cat. You're not helping, Sergey! ;)

He's a really pretty kitten and I hope you do teach him to play when you ask him to. I bet he enjoys it. I am convinced that a lot of animals really do like music.

Sebastien is beautiful.

Aside from the YouTube videos of cats setting their paws on piano keyboards, of course.

Well there are your everyday cats on piano keyboards, and then there's this.

Probably the most brilliant thing I've seen on YouTube all year.

JJ

Smart kitty. Why don't you let him near a trumpet? His embrouchure looks perfect!

Your not the only one with a uke playing cat

5.jpg

Mine can quickly bite through a new set of aquilia strings so be careful.

Top Bottom