People are so mean!

ainokeato

Reaction score
So, here's the story, I'm sitting there outside the gym, not like right outside in the parking lot (they have rocks that are big and flat that you can sit on), so anyways I'm sitting on this rock about a half an hour early to pick up my friend. It was a nice day today not to hot not freezing either, nice uke practicing weather. I'm sitting there practicing 1,2,3,4 that plain white T's song minding my own busy saying hi and good afternoon to everyone that passes by (even though only one person returned the favor old people rule :) ).

The gym I'm waiting at that I do go to, to, has a security guard, I do often go out and sit on these rocks and practice every now and again if I finish earlier than the person I go with. Every other security guard never had a problem with me doing what i'm doing minding my own business, I even taught one how to play a song. Unfortunately today they had a bored security guard, because for some reason he needed to circle around me three times every time he passed he would stare. Not a "woah what is he playing" kinda stare a "I am bored and want to pick on someone stare.", so every time he passes I look up and notice him doing that I ignore it thinking the guy is crazy.

Then for some reason he up and parks in an empty space behind me (they use little golf carts with flashy lights), a few minutes later he drives his way down to me and says I can't play on the property. I'm like "What?" after talking for a few minutes I say fine and asked him if he owned the property across the street, of course he says no I say fine so I pick up my case walk over to my car grab my amp and mosey on over across the street plug in and get my revenge!

Didn't last long my friend finally came out and we left, gah e.e some people are so mean to us minding our own business, anyone got any stories they wanna share?

Geez.
Why did he have to circle you three times before he figured out you were breaking the rules (which I bet are written somewhere :mad:)

It would sure suck if that golf cart of his had an accident involving an open can of sardines or something. :rolleyes:

Geez.
Why did he have to circle you three times before he figured out you were breaking the rules (which I bet are written somewhere :mad:)

It would sure suck if that golf cart of his had an accident involving an open can of sardines or something. :rolleyes:

lol No as far as I knew there weren't any rules against sitting on the rocks playing an instrument, I've been going to the gym for over two years and i'm buddy buddy with the manager that works there, I asked him if it was cool he said yeah long as I wasn't bugging anyone. None of the other security guards that would come by me to see what I was doing didn't care much, one of them was from the islands they all said the same thing, as long as I wasn't bugging any of the customers it was cool.

Someone had a superiority complex it seems (the guard).

Iunno it didn't hurt my feelings much just very "whaa?" lol thought I'd post my story up here because it never happened to me before, most of the people were usually interested in what I was playing, not kicking me out :( .

Iunno it didn't hurt my feelings much just very "whaa?" lol thought I'd post my story up here because it never happened to me before, most of the people were usually interested in what I was playing, not kicking me out :( .
I can totally understand. I'd have my feelings hurt too. Maybe sing him a song about how he did that, lmao!

We had a security guard at work that I used to call One-bullet-Barney (Barney Fife, Andy Griffith show). The guy was built like Barney and took his job way too seriously. The name became popular among some of the gang at that place.

We had a security guard at work that I used to call One-bullet-Barney (Barney Fife, Andy Griffith show). The guy was built like Barney and took his job way too seriously. The name became popular among some of the gang at that place.

lol Gotta love the security guards that take their job to seriously. I mean I have all kinds of respect for everyone, Maui boy born and raised I would get licked if I was disrespectful to anyone. But there's just that group of people, "Brah juss relax."

What a horse's arse. Complain to the management about how the bloke is giving their establishment an officious and unwelcoming vibe. Perhaps they'll have a quiet word with him.

... I've been going to the gym for over two years and i'm buddy buddy with the manager that works there, I asked him if it was cool he said yeah long as I wasn't bugging anyone.

If you know the manager, you should have called him on the spot with the rent-a-cop standing there and invited him outside for a chat about it.

And yes, there are a lot of Barney Fifes in that business.

--Mark

If you know the manager, you should have called him on the spot with the rent-a-cop standing there and invited him outside for a chat about it.

And yes, there are a lot of Barney Fifes in that business.

--Mark

I would have but it was a different manager at the time I usually actually go to the gym during the evening when he's on the job, it's a 24 hour fitness gym thing they have up here in Vegas. I called him earlier and told me he'd take care of it and apologized for what happened.

I am with you all the way, but that was a one-off. In general people are very positive about uke players "doing it in the street". I often take it out and play with it in public, and all I get are smiles, waves, and taps on the car horns. The worst thing I've had to endure is the odd born-again bore who comes up and starts to talk at me, they usually end up asking me to play a George Formby song. I politely refuse, and play something I like. I'm not busking - just passing the time.

John Colter.

Someone had a superiority complex it seems (the guard).

That and a need to feel important.
This is a problem in every facet, in every portion of the world.

Miserable people everywhere who hold a minuscule portion of "power" exercise it on a regular basis just to "show their feathers" so to speak. While there is no need to use their "power" they do so because they realize just how insignificant they really are.

Some people are just...hmm how to put this in a G rated format...well...let's just say it rhymes with flask poles.

I'm sorry that a good uking-in-public experience turned sour for you. :( The kind of folks who stomp around with a chip on their shoulder and exercise their "authority" whenever possible are usually huge suck-ups to their superiors, and are desperately trying to get noticed because nobody else will take them seriously enough.

I pick up my case walk over to my car grab my amp and mosey on over across the street plug in and get my revenge!

This is the most awesome response to the guy's attitude! Nice job! I hope you cranked it up to 11!

forum_c7ff0629_spinal_tap_but_it_goes_to_eleven.jpg

See, thats what you get for not taking requests. You should've asked him what he wanted to hear.:D

Seriously, it's sad that there are bullies in this world. Maybe clarify with the manager if you can or cannot sit outside and play. Is it making the club look bad in any way? Maybe you was supposed to be inside playing instead? That would be better!
Ernest

Or post the address of the establishment here on the forum, so a whole crowd of UUers can go and busk outside there en masse.

A couple of hundred ukers should do the trick... :D

Same old story of miserable people. They just can't stand to see others the have fun.

Top Bottom