Ani DiFranco plays the Ukulele

I got so excited when I read your thread title. Ani is one of my all-time faves. Poop.

David Malachowski, the writer of the article, is an idiot. His comments about Ani's "aggressive" playing style, her ukulele, her sexuality, etc. were all way off base, and, quite frankly (no pun intended) just pandering to his audience.

A ukulele, like any instrument, can be played sweetly or aggressively, depending on the inclination and skill of the performer.

I like Ani's work. I don't think Mr. Malachowski has a clue.

I freaking love Ani's work...I thought the review was ok....She prolly was making some kind of tongue in cheek statement in regards to the Uke....Anybody that knows Ani knows she has to have Big Ole Dreadnaughts to handle what she throws at an instrument....Violent Percussive guitar playing on a dreadnaught are imho an ode to her strong woman mentality.......The sheer size of the ukulele would be enough to undermine her bigger than life attitude.....Rock on Ani!....Women should play guitars & men shall play Lil Ukulele's....j/k...of course

Yeah, Ani is full of the kind respect the reviewer lacks, but even he says,"...as fun as that was..." This dude is pent up, but she rises well above." Hers was an innocuous, and actually kinda funny line to a crowd, and he's thinking, "Yeah, I know! Ukes suck! Rock on! Break out that... uh..., edgy guitar-like kinda thingy you do your uh... edgy stuff on." Which she does, thank god, so this chimp can enjoy the show. I wonder what would have happened if she had pulled it out again...:eek:

Why is the ukulele looked down on or not taken seriously by so many people?

Part of the reason I took it up is BECAUSE of it's limited range, 2 octaves and 2 whole steps on 3 strings, a reentrant G and NO BASS. The ukulele's limited range presents challenges and so I must explore other ways of playing things which I perceive as musically "complete" without resorting to the same devices I do as a solo fingerstyle guitarist. Sometimes limitation is a creative exercise, it forces me to embrace it, to work with what's available and attempt to use it and so to come up with new things.

Of course, what's new and becomes popular is then emulated by others and it soon becomes cliche in a culture where the largest concern is to make money rather than make art. Don't mistake me, people will always make art and there's nothing wrong with making money while making art BUT I perceive the US popular culture as being very shallow and imitative, focusing much more on style as opposed to substance.

Top Bottom