What songs does this group play?

nohandles

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a general feeling for the songs you are playing here. I play old show tunes, old time, jazz, pop, rock- like Tied to the Whipping Post- and bluegrass.
The reason is that I would like to contribute better here and have new stuff to use while playing out.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Doug

I think if you take a look at the Ukulele Tabs & Chords thread, it should give you an idea on the types of music that's being played here.

And I'd guess that the Tabs and Chords section is just a fraction of what people actually do play and work on.

Somebody around here plays similar things to whatever you're into.

Probably best way to bring them out of the woodwork is if you've got chords and/or tabs you like then post 'em and see who crops up or ask about ones you're looking to learn.

Well, here's a random selection from my songbook. Some played with the band, some at the jam.

Meet Me on the Corner
Sweet Georgia Brown
Stir It Up
Rosie
Makin' Whoopee
Bad Moon Rising
Proud Mary
Country Roads
Fat Bottomed Girls
Urban Spaceman
Whiskey in the Jar
Dirty Old Town
Carrickfergus
Spancil Hill
Pencil Full of Lead
Valerie
Mama Don't Allow
Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms
Dueling Banjos (or ukes!)
Blue Moon of Kentucky
Just a Gigolo
Bring Me Sunshine
Letter From My Darling (the jug band song, not the bluegrass one)
My Old Man's a Dustman
Legend of Xanadu

Some of those are typical uke fare, some are less so.

The band plays a mixture of jazz, skiffle, rockabilly, pop, rock, bluegrass, reggae and ska, folk, rock and roll.

My random selection (from memory) - and it is sure mixed!

Everybody's Talkin - Nilsson
Jolene - Dolly Parton
Reason To Believe - Tim Hardin
Big Rock Candy Mountain
Leaving of Liverpool
Dirty Old Town
Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard
Creep - Radiohead
No Surprises - Radiohead
No Woman No Cry
Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
Valerie - The Zutons
Yoshimi - Flaming Lips
Cleaning Windows & Lamp-post - George Formby
Your Cheatin Heart
Ring Of Fire
Till There was You, Something etc - Beatles
Maggie Mae - The Faces
Dream A Little Dream Of Me
Mr Sandman

Loads more too - a real mix

Thank Folks,

So far looks like what I'm doing myself. Cool! I play anything that strikes my fancy now but I wanted to make sure I wasn't to off the wall in my thinking.

I play Dinah Moe Hum Frank Zappa but only late at night when the traditionalist go to bed at the festivals. lol

Well, here's a random selection from my songbook. Some played with the band, some at the jam.

Meet Me on the Corner
Sweet Georgia Brown
Stir It Up
Rosie
Makin' Whoopee
Bad Moon Rising
Proud Mary
Country Roads
Fat Bottomed Girls
Urban Spaceman
Whiskey in the Jar
Dirty Old Town
Carrickfergus
Spancil Hill
Pencil Full of Lead
Valerie
Mama Don't Allow
Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms
Dueling Banjos (or ukes!)
Blue Moon of Kentucky
Just a Gigolo
Bring Me Sunshine
Letter From My Darling (the jug band song, not the bluegrass one)
My Old Man's a Dustman
Legend of Xanadu

Some of those are typical uke fare, some are less so.

The band plays a mixture of jazz, skiffle, rockabilly, pop, rock, bluegrass, reggae and ska, folk, rock and roll.

Hiya
Is that Mama don't allow no skiffle played in here??
Have you seen this 14 year old Jimmy page clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tAOIQiz-8

not wanting to hijack but enjoy

I just have to be different!!!!

I play hardly anything from what is in the Tabs site most of those songs I have never even heard of....:eek:

I do play the Jack Johnson and Brother Bob stuff but mostly when I'm strummin its 20's, 30's, 40's Hapa-Haole, Don Ho or Jimmy Buffett.

Just to let you know what's on the Ipod that I would love to play on Uke... Frank, Dean, Sammy, Denny, Baxter, Lyman. My Ipod is stuck in 1960...

Last edited:
lists like this are great - I think people should post "The last 10 songs you played". Gives great inspiration to others to work out new tunes - I have already done so based on the post before mine!

Re. pauljmuk 10 last song posts

1. Army - Ben Folds
2. The Boys are back in Town - Thin Lizzy
3. Mr Blue Sky - ELO
4. Up The Junction - Squeeze
5. Suddenly I See - KT Tunstall
6. Such Great Heights - Postal Service
7. The Bucket - Wellington Int Ukulele Orchestra version of Kings Of Leon
8. Dead From The Waist Down - Catatonia
9. I don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
10. Books From Boxes - Maximo Park

There you go

John

Thank Folks,

So far looks like what I'm doing myself. Cool! I play anything that strikes my fancy now but I wanted to make sure I wasn't to off the wall in my thinking.

I play Dinah Moe Hum Frank Zappa but only late at night when the traditionalist go to bed at the festivals. lol
I play with a steel pan player in a calypso/soca/reggae group that has versions of a lot of the above, plus the standard Harry Belafonte stuff, Jamaica Farewell, Angelina, Brown Skin Girl, etc, plus Boogsie's Musical Wine, Coconut Woman, Yellow Bird. Then we throw in the usual Parrot-head crowd pleasers, some beach boys, old 50's tunes always pair up nicely with the uke/pan combo. It's mostly standards with some extremes on any given style thrown in. We do a killer "Rum & Coca Cola" by the Andrews Sisters. This is something, if you asked me 30 years ago if I saw myself playing this, I'd said you were crazy. Then I looked at the lyrics and thought, "A mother-daugter prostitution ring working 'The Yankee Dollah...' I'm in..."

Dinah Moe Hum...:D I used to do "Stinkfoot"... ;)

Last 10 songs today:
Wagon Wheel- Old Crow Medicine Show/ Bob Dilan
Whiskey Before Breakfast- Unknown artist
Love Letters in the Sand- Unknown
Mr Sandman- Unknown
It Aint Gonna Rain- Unknown
Ohio- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Cold Rain and Snow- Peter Rowen I think?
Listen to the Radio- Nancy Griffith
Gold Coast Highway- Nancy Griffith
Mile High Dreaming- Jody Adams Bluegrass
And tonight will be?

Mr. Sandman was a hit for the Chordettes.

Love Letters in the Sand was done by a bunch of artists. (I've got Julie London & Elvis versions.)

Last night we played/worked on

"Days of Wine & Roses" & "Charade" by Henry Mancini
"Buddy Holly" by Weezer
"Brady Bunch Theme" by Frank DeVol
"Mr. Tough" by Yo La Tengo
"Kiss of Fire" (I got it from Louis Armstrong)
"Another Sunny Day" by Belle & Sebastian
"Candy Says" by the Velvet Underground
"It's the End of the World as We Know It by R.E.M.
"Blister in the Sun" by Violent Femmes
"Rainbow Connection" by Kermit
and ended the evening with a rousing version of "She Bangs" as recorded by Ricky Martin

John - that is a great list - really inspiring and up my alley!

Perhaps, without wishing to hijack the OP thread, (which is a great one) we could have a Sticky from the mods entitled "Last 10 songs you played"

I really do think that this is the sort of inspiration people need to pick songs, or maybe take a change in direction. Whenever I have posted song ideas or a video, a large proportion of the replies are along the lines of "cool idea for a song, will have to try that". Clearly, that is what people are looking for.

My last 10 songs:

1.Half the world away - oasis
2.Elephant stone - Stone Roses
3.One - U2
4.Que sera sera - Doris Day
5.Rock around the clock - Bill Haley
6.Singin in the rain
7.Jambalaya - Hank Williams
8.Leaving of Liverpool
9.Blowin in the wind - Bob Dylan
10.Button up your overcoat

A few of these are from my uke club, and a few are off t'interweb. My general disclaimer is that I can proficiently play at least one recognisable part of the songs above - but a long way off my first gig!:D

If I could, I'd play a lot of alternative rock covers. But as a beginner I play the stereotypical beginner songs you find in song books. :)

absolutely - list them! I love inspiration to play some old classic standards!

Taught my son "coming round the mountain" the other day, followed by "the Irish Rover"

Top Bottom