Singing and playing

Poggie

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time reader and first time poster here :)

I started the uke about two months ago and have got a good grasp of chords, etc, but I still cannot seem to sing and play at the same time. Everytime I start singing the words to a song, my strumming changes to match the words and totally throws the tune off. I really cannot help doing it.

I just wondered if anyone had the same problem and if they had any tips or techniques they might share with me?

Thanks a lot,

Steve.

I have the same problem. You just have to keep practcing. Try to get the chord changes done first. Try humming along or singing in your head. There's tons of threads about this so try a search and there's bound to be a lot of suggestions. Welcome to UU!:)

Tap your foot to the beat of the song, play through it entirely either alone without the song in the background or with. Try to get the beat of the song and tap your foot to it, not move your entire leg like you're stomping just lift the front of your foot keep the heel on the ground kinda tapping. Once you get the beat while you're strumming, unless you know the words to heart I would say play along with the song close your eyes play along and try to sing.

It won't work the first or second or third time but eventually you'll get it I suggest you memorize the words. Make sure you can make the chord changes without needing to look at your hands, it has to be like second instinct to you to know when to change how to form the chord and such.

It's how I do it and it works for me.

I started the uke about two months ago and have got a good grasp of chords, etc, but I still cannot seem to sing and play at the same time. Everytime I start singing the words to a song, my strumming changes to match the words and totally throws the tune off. I really cannot help doing it.

I just wondered if anyone had the same problem and if they had any tips or techniques they might share with me?

Thanks a lot,

Steve.

This is something that almost everyone will have gone through. Don't worry about it! Just keep playing and it'll all fall into place eventually. Try and really get a song remembered so well that you don't even need to think about it much. Stick to practise and it'll all work out :)

Thanks a lot,

Steve.
This question often comes up and there are numerous threads regarding this topic. Here is the most recent thread found using the "Search" function (located in the tool bar). It is underated and overlooked but still an invaluable tool.

Thanks a lot,

Steve.

Practice and after awhile it will be like walking and talking at the same time!!! you just have to get used to one thing before doing another..i would practice the ukulele first then the singing and then see how everything can fit nicely together...and kanaka is right..you must LEARN my friend that the search function actually does its job yayy...see you on the threads and keep ukeing!!!:):agree:

I have the same affliction. Practice? Forget about it. I got one word for ya, Chord Solo!

honestly, the advice given already above is as good as it gets..

Practice and foot tapping.

It's just something a beginner needs to go through. I was luckier, as I came to the Uke on the back of singing and playing guitar - but then I had to go through same thing with the Guitar too.

Oddly, I'm trying to fiddle around on the piano now, and I am having the same problem - presumably the same barrier.

The only "tip" I can come up with is start with something real easy - 3 chord slow song with a strong rhythm - and get that cracked before moving on. Try "your cheating heart" by Hank Williams or similar.

Whilst i now rarely have a problem if you throw me an odd tune with a strange jazz timing, I still struggle - but again, its all about practice.

Keep it simple whilst learning, then build it up (buttercup)

Exactly what paul says songs with few chords make it easier some what to play and sing. If you're into hawaiian, or reggae music. Surf by Ka'au Crater boys and Wake up my darling by Pau Hana. Are great places to start, both only have four chords which are realtively easy to switch between.

Top Bottom