Feds raid Gibson guitars offices.

THATS CRAZY!!! that makes me sad...

I read about that on a guitar forum yesterday, and I find it hard to fathom someone going to great lengths to do something illegal, with no real gain to be seen. That wood can't be that much better than what is legally available, not enough to risk incarceration.

Kinda makes me want to set all my ukulele free in the forest.

"You're home little fellas."

(Except the Fluke)

This item is inconclusive unless I have missed something. Guilty until proven innocent? Let's not start throwing stones here yet,,,

Also you should know that Hamburg has been the traditional conduit for exotics. The connection in the article is vague and somewhat spurious. Madagascan rosewood has been available on and off for a few years now with Madinter in Spain carrying it.

I'm not defending Gibson - it's just there is not enough info here to make a reasoned judgement. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise there was a ban, then there wasn't and now I'm unsure,

It's great immitation rio rosewood though for fingerboards - there are 20 Howlett soranos out there with Madagascan fingerboards :)

I don't understand why a company like Gibson would buy illegally imported timber - if they did. My guess is that they may have been deceived by unscrupulous suppliers. Still, the Feds have to start with them, and trace it back through the chain of supply. It won't be easy.

Unfortunately, when wood is so valuable, someone is going to cut it down, and someone will buy it. If they can't stop criminals from killing elephants and tigers for their body parts, what chance has a tree got?

Don't it all just go to show----------------

John Colter.

If the story turns out to be true then those responsible at Gibson are idiots. Were they really trying to sneak it through Germany? Even if the charges are dropped, damage has been done to Gibson. Think we'll ever see a story about the charges being dismissed?
I've said it before, the feds take stuff like this seriously. When in doubt, don't use anything that might be endangered. It's simply not worth it.
And I'm sorry, anyone who thinks synthetics can replace wood "just as well", simply hasn't played a good solid wood ukulele. Nevertheless, I'm glad I switched over to particle board and Trex for all my building needs.

And I'm sorry, anyone who thinks synthetics can replace wood "just as well", simply hasn't played a good solid wood ukulele. Nevertheless, I'm glad I switched over to particle board and Trex for all my building needs.

Have you seen the Martin HPL guitars.

Made in Mexico from High Pressure Laminate, (depending who you ask, AKA particle board, aka Formica)

Surprisingly, they sound like "real" Martins

MGM did a sound demo not too long ago. We had to guess which each Uke was and which we would choose based on sound. Surprisingly, one of the top ukes was a synthetic. :) But yes, the number one was a solid wood.

I saw so this thread turning into a wood vs synthetic one, lol.

Made in Mexico from High Pressure Laminate, (depending who you ask, AKA particle board, aka Formica)

Haven't seen them, haven't heard them. Have you? I was speaking of synthetics, not composites. In any event I can't imagine the processes and chemicals used in making these materials are very earth friendly either.

Haven't seen them, haven't heard them. Have you? I was speaking of synthetics, not composites. In any event I can't imagine the processes and chemicals used in making these materials are very earth friendly either.

Yes I did try one. I'm thinking about getting another Martin, a HD28V this time around. There was a HPL in the room and I played it for a little.

I'm betting you are right, the process in making these may not be earth friendly.

Edit in:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DCX1E.htm

Last edited:

Are those the ones with a thin black top and a fake wood veneer? If it's what I'm thinking about, they sound horribly thin.

Oh, I didn't realize it was a solid top. Whatever I played had a fake top and sounded awful and was way overpriced. I think my buddy has a model like that. His sounds very nice.

Yes I did try one. I'm thinking about getting another Martin, a HD28V this time around. There was a HPL in the room and I played it for a little.

I'm betting you are right, the process in making these may not be earth friendly.

Edit in:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DCX1E.htm

Wow, I'm speechless. High-pressure laminate. Are we talking Masonite here? Like wall panelling? Is the "grain" pattern printed on? I'd honestly be embarrassed to work on the line making those at Martin. To each is own. At least the top is spruce. Maybe.
To be fair, it's a good alternative to those where price and the Martin name are of prime importance. And it IS saving wood for more quality instruments.
I'm running out to Walmart for some wood grain contact paper.

Wow, I'm speechless. High-pressure laminate. Are we talking Masonite here? Like wall panelling? Is the "grain" pattern printed on? I'd honestly be embarrassed to work on the line making those at Martin. To each is own. At least the top is spruce. Maybe.
To be fair, it's a good alternative to those where price and the Martin name are of prime importance. And it IS saving wood for more quality instruments.
I'm running out to Walmart for some wood grain contact paper.

It's like formica, or maybe like the flooring that has a printed wood grain on top of a substrate.

The top is solid spruce but it's not a top grade.

Did you notice the neck?

Top Bottom