Kala K8E and much more...

FromTheWayside

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I have a buttload of questions, but in order to save some forum space, I am going to to post all of them here. In no particular order:

1) Does anyone have a beat on the Kala KA-K8E? I looked for reviews on this site, UkeHunt, and google, and came up with nothing. Bonus points for info on the KA-K6E as well.

(Edit - link: http://www.ukeladymusic.com/kala-koa-series.html)

Edit - Is this thing solid koa? Shouldn't it be more expensive?

2) What are some reasonably priced (less than $400) 8 stringers? I've got UAS bad, but I want to get something of high quality. Speaking of quality instruments at a fair price, has Mainland ever made a 6 / 8 string uke?

3) Why even use a 6 or 8 string in the first place?! :confused: What is a 6 or 8 string good for that a 4 can't do? I mean it seems an 8 might produce a more "jangly" or "full-bodied" effect...but realistically, be limited more to strumming (on 12 string guitars, I've found it hard to pick apart different octave'd strings).

4) Uke + Kazoo..great combination, or the greatest combination?

Sorry about the semi-random stream of consciousness. Hopefully at least one other person can figure out what the heck I'm talking about...

Last edited:
Hi Everyone -

I have a buttload of questions, but in order to save some forum space, I am going to to post all of them here. In no particular order:

1) i oowned a kala 8 string tenor, excellent ukulele, fun to play, but dont think i would buy one again, they project very well, but do have there limits

kala dosnt make any solid koa ukes, well from what ive read not yet anyway so no its laminate

2) another very quality 8 string is a lanakai (wrong spelling?) look on www.ukes.com for prices and even purchase from there

3) an 8 string will give alot more punchier sound, many play them to be heard when jamming with guitars or just for a much louder sound. Plus there great for strumming

4) Uke + Kazoo yeh not bad combo i guess... wanna wrestle

hope this helps

Hi Everyone -

1) i oowned a kala 8 string tenor, excellent ukulele, fun to play, but dont think i would buy one again, they project very well, but do have there limits

kala dosnt make any solid koa ukes, well from what ive read not yet anyway so no its laminate

2) another very quality 8 string is a lanakai (wrong spelling?) look on www.ukes.com for prices and even purchase from there

3) an 8 string will give alot more punchier sound, many play them to be heard when jamming with guitars or just for a much louder sound. Plus there great for strumming

4) Uke + Kazoo yeh not bad combo i guess... wanna wrestle

hope this helps

1) Well...what sort of limits can you think of? I'm assuming you sold it, and I'd like to know more of the story, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

2) Thanks for the tip. I'd never actually visited that site before today, so good stuff.

3) I like the idea of being able to keep up with a guitar, but I'm assuming you mean an acoustic guitar, yes? It still seems like a half-stack would take out an un-amplified uke.

4) I think it's a great combo...when my kazoos work. They're so simple, and yet so aggravatingly difficult (for the ones I've bought, the membrane has been very touchy, so getting the darn thing to play has been...well...hit or miss).

Thanks again for your comments!

1) Well...what sort of limits can you think of? I'm assuming you sold it, and I'd like to know more of the story, if you wouldn't mind sharing. well not limits i guess, but i just really enjoyed the traditional sound and an 8 string looses it a little but you can still pick them ect just takes alot of practice

2) Thanks for the tip. I'd never actually visited that site before today, so good stuff. no dramas

3) I like the idea of being able to keep up with a guitar, but I'm assuming you mean an acoustic guitar, yes? It still seems like a half-stack would take out an un-amplified uke. yeh playin with an accoustic just sounds a whole lot better but you can achieve the same playing with an amplified 4 string amplified or not even amplified

4) I think it's a great combo...when my kazoos work. They're so simple, and yet so aggravatingly difficult (for the ones I've bought, the membrane has been very touchy, so getting the darn thing to play has been...well...hit or miss). yeh exactly anything usually goes good with a uke, even a bongo or a conga

Thanks again for your comments

to your comments also alls i can say is watch alot of vids and even go play one, an 8 string is unique and only for some people so make sure its gonna be the right decision best luck bra

Top Bottom