which kala?!?

raecarter

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a big problem I wanted the kala all solid mahogany concert (ka asmc) unfortunately I have just seen the kala flame maple series concert (ka fmc) it looks stunning but is solid wood? Any advice would be greatly accepted. Rae

john!

What are you doing to me! Which one would you go for. Would there be much difference in the sound, construction and build?

Hi Rae

Go try them! Only you will know which sound you like best. I have the FMS and it is indeed a very nice litle instrument but as with all things you may hate it and prefer the Mahogany. To be honest I wouldn't get too hung up with solid V laminate in this price range.

good luck
Dave

I have a KA FMT (the Tenor model) and it is a fine instrument. Mine has a pretty thick gloss coat on it that might dampen the sound some but I got that uke a while ago and I would imagine Kala has worked on this. The top is solid spruce and the back and sides are laminate.

Comparing the two ukes, since they are both Kala and probably built in the same factory I would think the construction and build quality would be pretty similar. The sound between a Solid mahogany and a spruce top ukulele will be a little different. Spruce is genarally a brighter sounding tone wood, while mahogany is generally a mellower sound.

I don't have a whole lot of experince with mahogany ukuleles so I cannot make any acctual comarisons between the sounds. I chose the spruce top when I was in the market though. I really don't think you will be dissapointed either way you go.

Top Bottom