Kala ThinLine VS Kala KA-ST

rpeters

Reaction score
Does anyone own either of these ukuleles? I want to buy my second ukulele, my first is a lanakai soprano, but I want a tenor now after listening to Jake and other well known uke players.

I will be buying from MGM, but which uke is better? I've heard good things for both? Of course the ThinLine has an advantage if I want to bring it where ever I go, but it must lose a lot of its projection since its so thin.

The KA-ST must sound a bit deeper in tone and louder. Is this true? Would you recommend one or the other. As in terms of looks, they both look really nice, so its really the difference in sound. I'm sure both is an upgrade from my lanakai.

The difference in price is about 50 dollars, since the ThinLine from MGM has free shipping.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

IMO, the thin line has an unbelievable projection despite it's size. I think it has a better tone than the ST. And for the price, I think the thin line is a better buy.

So that's one vote for ThinLine. Is the tone lighter sounding? Also, I can still put a low G on the ThinLine right?

To me, the tone seems to be a little mellower maybe because of volume. Ya gotta try and play it or have Mike do a sound comparo over the phone.

Wow Mike sounds like he's extremely helpful. I'm actually kind of jealous. I wish I had a business like that, but I guess I would need to become an expert of ukuleles then :)

Thanks for the info, I think I'm now leaning towards purchasing the Kala Thinline. I just need something to learn on and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. If I ever become really good I'm sure I'll purchase a Pono or something in the future, and then I will get a full size.

I have the Kala ka-st low g. I bought it from MGM and he is great. I'm a beginner so I don't have much to compare the st to but I love the sound. The only thing I would be aware of is the Aquila wound low g. Mine started unwinding after about 2 1/2 months. There was a thread about it a while ago and it seems to be common. I've changed my strings to Savarev and am loving the sound they produce.

Top Bottom