Makala Dolphin Bridge Sopranos

AcousticMonster

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I got an itch and I need to scratch it. :drool:

mupink.jpg

Does anyone have one of these Makala Dolphin Bridge Sopranos? If so are they good or bad? I'm looking to add some color in my life!

Danny

Edit: I'm not sure if this question should have gone here or into Buying Tips. My apologies to the staff.

Last edited:
first off - there is no way this can be considered a pro instrument - its a beginner / fun uke. The older ones are laminates, the newer ones have one piece molded back and sides and laminate top.

Now, all of that said - I play a lovely solid wood concert, but am waiting for the plastic bodied ones of these to land in stores in the UK and I will be buying one.

They are well liked by uke players who own instruments costing 10 or 20 times or more. Perfect as a beatup uke - for a bit of fun - and from what I have heard in demos - not a bad sound actually!

they are all the same, just different colours - if you watch a vid of, say, a green one - it will still apply!

"if you watch a vid of, say, a green one - it will still apply!"

Everybody knows the yellow ones are best!;)

John C.

Makala dolphins may be cheap, but they are indestructible, sound very reasonable indeed, and play great with a bit of a set-up. Well regarded for what they are. A real bargain.

I have two!

they are all the same, just different colours - if you watch a vid of, say, a green one - it will still apply!

LOL...I know I was just joking. I think the pink one looks the coolest though. :shaka:

Sa-weet, this has sold me on them. Thanks Seeso!

Makala dolphins may be cheap, but they are indestructible, sound very reasonable indeed, and play great with a bit of a set-up. Well regarded for what they are. A real bargain.

I have two!

Thanks buddhuu, I just bought one on Ebay! Now the waiting and anticipating begins.
DirtDOG.gif

[...]I just bought one on Ebay! Now the waiting and anticipating begins. [...]

The first things to do when you get it are to check the action at the nut and to fit a set of Aquila strings (if it doesn't already have them).

Aquilas are favourites amongst dolphin players. They have the power to drive the ply tops really well.

The action on out-of-the-box dolphins tends to be high, which can screw with the intonation, so you might need to lower it a wee bit.

If you bought from MGM (musicguymic) then I believe Aquilas and set-up may already be sorted out pre-delivery. If you bought elsewhere you may just have a little tweaking to do.

Either way, there's colourful fun ahead. :D

The first things to do when you get it are to check the action at the nut and to fit a set of Aquila strings (if it doesn't already have them).

Aquilas are favourites amongst dolphin players. They have the power to drive the ply tops really well.

The action on out-of-the-box dolphins tends to be high, which can screw with the intonation, so you might need to lower it a wee bit.

If you bought from MGM (musicguymic) then I believe Aquilas and set-up may already be sorted out pre-delivery. If you bought elsewhere you may just have a little tweaking to do.

Either way, there's colourful fun ahead. :D

Cool. Yeah, I love Aquilas on my Tenors, but to be honest I don't care for them on concert and sopranos. Maybe its because I don't have good quality ukes, but I like the sound of GHS on my sopranos, and D'Addario on my concerts. Accept the Spongebob uke I bought from Toys R Us...I like those strings but not sure what brand they are, lol.

I bought from a different seller this time around...the price seemed cheaper. I think anyways.

Last edited:
My pinky just arrived at my doorstep! Sounds better then my other sopranos so I'm a happy camper. Buddhuu, I think I might actually try a set of Aquilas on it. I think it came with GHS or something similar.

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between a set of Aquila sopranos and Aquila tenor strings (besides the length of the strings, obviously)? Are they the same thickness/gauge. I got an extra set of Aquila tenor strings. Would those work on the dolphin?

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the gauges are thicker on tenor strings, so I wouldn't use them. I wouldn't hesitate, however, to fit a dolphin with Aquila concert strings.

Oil down that fretboard and check the action/intonation at the nut and saddle. Enjoy it. I can't believe how nice they are for what they cost.

Every night my wife practices her songs on her purple dolphin in bed before we turn out the lights. She sings sweetly and strums softly, and that dolphin sounds great. It's in a completely different league from my Hilo, which sold at the same price point.

And I never hesitate to recommend buying one set up by MGM.

I have a red one!!! And i actually love it :drool: It just looks cool, it probably has pretty rubbish sound and all that because its cheap (But i don't know anything about those kind of things) but I still really like mine!! I'm sure you're liking your uke as much as I like mine :D Have fun with it :p

Yeah, the gauges are thicker on tenor strings, so I wouldn't use them. I wouldn't hesitate, however, to fit a dolphin with Aquila concert strings.

Oil down that fretboard and check the action/intonation at the nut and saddle. Enjoy it. I can't believe how nice they are for what they cost.

Every night my wife practices her songs on her purple dolphin in bed before we turn out the lights. She sings sweetly and strums softly, and that dolphin sounds great. It's in a completely different league from my Hilo, which sold at the same price point.

And I never hesitate to recommend buying one set up by MGM.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to order some off Ebay since no one in my area sells quality uke stuff. Dr. Cluck to the rescue!

I have a red one!!! And i actually love it :drool: It just looks cool, it probably has pretty rubbish sound and all that because its cheap (But i don't know anything about those kind of things) but I still really like mine!! I'm sure you're liking your uke as much as I like mine :D Have fun with it :p

Pink is the new Red! :p

Yeah, it sounds pretty awesome out of the box. The action seems good to me, and its 100% better then my grizzly kit and spongebob sopranos! Dolphin for the win!

Top Bottom