Old styles of binding and trim

nohandles

Reaction score
I used to have a resource for old looking bindings and trim but I they seem to be out of business. Do any of you know of a good source of these products?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Doug

You're not getting any nibbles, so I'll throw in what I know, which isn't a lot, but; binding and purfling can be made out of just about anything, provided it sticks with glue and doesn't alter too quickly in dry/humid climates. Bindings available today are made of wood primarily, but also laminates and plastics. Purflings are made of wood, plastics, pearl, abalone, and I've heard tell of paper, but don't know it's true. Wood and pearl/abalone are traditional materials used, so I'm not quite clear what you mean by old styles of binding and trim, and I suspect that's why you're not getting any bites on your question. Perhaps if you could describe what it is you're looking for, or offer some examples from off the web, you might find more answers.

Thanks for the reply's I searched this morning and was lead to ebay and then found luthiers shop that has exactly I am looking. Cool!
http://www.dukeluthier.com Here's the link if any are interested.

Stewart MacDonald

Stewart MacDonald

Great resource. I've been buying from them for years. In fact once I drove there to pick some stuff in a emergency. I'm only about 3 hours from them.
They didn't have quit what I was looking for this time. I might just make what I want for this build. Thanks Doug

Top Bottom