basic advice for posting on youtube

Kimosabe

Reaction score
Hello,

What's the minimum I can spend to post youtubes of me and a friend playing original uke songs on youtube. I have a Zoom2 that I could use as an extension mike. I also have a good Rode mike. A friend has mentioned Flip but we're not sure whether there is a mike jack. I've also read that for the price of a FLIP you can get something more old fashioned with better quality. I've always liked Sony. I want something simple to put music onto Youtube. I'm not a very computer oriented person. What does Ken Middleton use? Something around $300 would be ideal. I've got some good songs. thanks--Kimo

Ken uses the Zoom H4n and the Zoom H2.

I'm interested in this too. I have recording gear, iMac, Presonus firebox, a pair of Studio Projects C1's, Cubase LE and/or GarageBand. . . no video.

What would be some good suggestions for inexpensive video options?

People use Video camera's instead of web cams for recording that is for better picture I believe. I don't know what particularly though.

If you get a Zoom mic and a Flip, I think that would work out well for you. You don't need to plug the mic into the Flip. Just record your audio into a separate app like Audacity and sync it to the video.

Where can I see your flip videos, Haole John?

I like your flip comment about your singing and playing. When you say Flip phone, is that the same as a Flip video camera? And where might I see a sample?

Question for Seeso

Thanks for your help. Is this audacity hard to use? Where does one find it and what kind of camera does Ken M. use? Also, why does Mr. Middleton use more than one kind of Zoom? thanks, Kimo

Thanks for your help. Is this audacity hard to use? Where does one find it and what kind of camera does Ken M. use? Also, why does Mr. Middleton use more than one kind of Zoom? thanks, Kimo

Although I haven't had any goes with using audacity to sync up to video, I can only say good things about audacity. It's a free program that you can do TONS with to audio files. It might take a few turns of messing around before you realize what you can do with all the features, but that's true for every other program out there. I'm pretty sure you could find it on download.com. It's a free, very supported, excellent editing program. :)
Good luck, I've started recently preparing videos for the internet, involving music. :)

Here is what Ken has to say:

The biggest advantage of the Zoom H4n over the H2 (and H4) is that I can read the screen.

However, the H4n does far more than the H2 e.g. it has 3 different types of input socket and an onboard mixer, for instance. It is also more versatile than the H2 and has far more intuitive controls.

Added to this, the microphones are of higher quality and the results seem even better than the H2.

It is much bigger and heavier, however. I shall still use the H2 when I travel.

I'm really pleased with it so far.

cheapest option - a webcam! $20

My option - Creative Vado HD pocket camcorder - was £100

You can crank it up to ridiculous levels though - dedicated PC musicians soundcard, movie software, professional mics, mixer.

At the end of the day though, for Youtube (and the quality of my playing!), I find my camcorder works fine

Top Bottom