Hilo Ukulele?

joehempel

Reaction score
I got a Hilo Ukulele, but there is no serial or model number. The sound hole is not traditional, it's got 3 holes in the upper left portion of the body, but it still rings, kind of reminds me of the way Ovation does their guitars. It's cost me $50, then $40 for the tweed hardshell case.

I've heard that these are okay, but are just a catch all brand. I'll post a pic soon, but I don't know ANYTHING about them, I can't seem to find anything either.

Are they solid top? Are they actually decent or more like a toy?

Just curious. This one stays in tune and is better than the Stagg models that I tried out, those had serious quality control issues.

Thanks!

Thanks! This is the one I got

Hilo2658.jpg

From what I understand from some eBay auctions this is all mahogany, but it could be laminate mahogany. It sounds great though!

Hilo actually makes strings as well...I've tried them..there okay..the uke looks great..if you like the uke and you've said it sounds great..what else is there to know!! Have fun with it...its a great starter ukulele!!

Hey, that's a cool looking uke! Enjoy it! Everyone will have an opinion about the name on the headstock but if it stays in tune and you like it...its all that matters!

yeah, it actually stays in tune really well.

I'm thinking that the 2nd fret needs to be filed down a bit, there's buzzing on all strings when I press on the first fret, but it's not too bad.

maybe in a few months I'll upgrade to a concert uke, my arm has a bruise from trying to hold it, and I think the body may be just a couple inches bigger, but that may make a huge difference.

I got a Hilo Ukulele, but there is no serial or model number. The sound hole is not traditional, it's got 3 holes in the upper left portion of the body, but it still rings, kind of reminds me of the way Ovation does their guitars. It's cost me $50, then $40 for the tweed hardshell case.

I've heard that these are okay, but are just a catch all brand. I'll post a pic soon, but I don't know ANYTHING about them, I can't seem to find anything either.

Are they solid top? Are they actually decent or more like a toy?

Just curious. This one stays in tune and is better than the Stagg models that I tried out, those had serious quality control issues.

Thanks!
Hilos are OK, they are a laminate and they are made by the same company that makes Ovations. I got a well worn Hilo baritone and when I put Aquila's on it the sound really improved, trying different strings can really make a big difference in the sound.

Cool, thanks for that!!

I have a couple packs of martin strings, so when I get it back on Christmas, I'll re-string it with those and see how it sounds!

Top Bottom